narrowed it down to Voyageur Grand and Cape Cod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

split level

Sep 13, 2013
MN
Hi All,
I've been perusing the forum for some time now while researching which insert to purchase. I have a split level home with open flow from lower to upper level. I'm looking to put in an insert in the existing open fireplace in the lower level family room. I really like the look of a flush mount insert, and have narrowed my search down to Lopi Cape Cod and Quadrafire Voyageur Grand. I was originally looking at the VC Montpelier,(love the large viewing area) but I've found a lot of negative reviews, so I'm leery of that choice now. I haven't seen much of anything about the Voyageur Grand/Voyageur, and everything about Cape Cod/Declarartion has been (mostly)positive. Any impute would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
P.S.- looking to pull the trigger on this sooner rather than later to take advantage of existing special offers.

Mike

Quadrafire stoves is known for their quick starting from heating up quickly. The usually have better insulated fireboxes.

The Quadrafire has the automated combustion control thats gonna eek out more burn time for you.

Its a little bigger so its gonna give you more heat.

Make sure you have good dry wood , get it now. They dont burn well with moisture in the wood.

You are looking at two good brands. Both will get the job done. I like that the Voyageur has an ashlip. That might keep some ash from being sucked into the blower.

Reactions: Huntindog1
Of course my favorite stove is the Woodstock Progress Hybrid. However, since that is not one of your final choices, my vote would go to the Lopi Cap Cod. It's a great looking stove. is extremely low polluting and very efficient. Had I not purchased the Progress, the Cap Cod is the stove I would have gone with. The Quadrafire is also a good choice. Whichever you pick, I think you will be happy.

I think he has settled on getting an Insert and not a freestanding stove.

But that is another idea if he wants to build a hearth in front of his existing fireplace.

Attachments

• IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 216
  • davis-2-271x350.jpg
    davis-2-271x350.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Thanks so much for all of your input. I've seen a lot of posts about the wood being dry. Seems like most of the negative experiences with stoves/inserts stems from bad wood. One of the features I like on the Lopi is the bypass control. Seems like this would help a lot with establishing a draft.

quote="Tenn Dave, post: 1516703, member: 27799"]Of course my favorite stove is the Woodstock Progress Hybrid. However, since that is not one of your final choices, my vote would go to the Lopi Cap Cod. It's a great looking stove. is extremely low polluting and very efficient. Had I not purchased the Progress, the Cap Cod is the stove I would have gone with. The Quadrafire is also a good choice. Whichever you pick, I think you will be happy.

I think he has settled on getting an Insert and not a freestanding stove.

But that is another idea if he wants to build a hearth in front of his existing fireplace.[/quote]
I'm definitely limited to inserts only. My existing FP opening is only 24" high. That would make for a VERY stubby stove:)

Status
Not open for further replies.