Natural Gas FirePlace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

noclue2

Nov 3, 2017
pennsylvania
brand new here, and brand new to fireplaces. we bought a home last year with everything natural gas: heat, stove and fireplace. when we moved in, the previous owners (here for 20 years) said the fireplace “needed a new igniter.”

i didn’t bother with it last year, just used the baseboards and a space heater, but i’d like to get the fireplace going.

i took off all the logs and vacuumed it out, dusted it off, shined it up (just water and a rag (no flammables).

i get a spark when i push the igniter. i don’t smell or hear gas when i press the pilot in.

there is a gas line going from behind the insert into the concrete below the fireplace (a small rectangular metal flap) and i don’t see any shut off valve down there.

the fireplace is directly above my furnace room, so i’m guessing it runs to there and that’s where i’ll find the shutoff, but i can’t see the line from the insert coming in there, nor do i see a red or blue valve for it.

i do have an old fashioned turn key on the outside of the fireplace mantel, but that operates the doors to allow air from the chimney (do they call it a flue ?)

so i guess i’m asking where the heck the gas shutoff is. i’ve read that a gas fireplace requires two shutoffs, one within 6 feet of the fireplace and one somewhere else.

answered my own question. found the valve hiding in the furnace room. turned it on, put the pilot on, pushed the igniter and it started right up. how about that