Natural heat convection links pics etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyld Bill

Feb 5, 2011
Maine
I'm trying to get the heat better dipersed through my house. I want to get as much natural airflow as I can but also have some fan powered set ups to move the hot/cold air better when I have power available. ANy websites or threads on this out there? Is it better to push the hot air out to remote places or pull cold air back??

I would guess that without exaggeration there are at least a few thousand posts on this topic. Many here have found that blowing the air from the cooler area toward the heat, low to the floor, is quite effective.

BeGreen said:
I would guess that without exaggeration there are at least a few thousand posts on this topic. Many here have found that blowing the air from the cooler area toward the heat, low to the floor, is quite effective.

+1 . . . The "fan trick" works well at moving heat through the house . . . fan on the floor pushes cool air towards the heated stove . . . air is heated and rises . . . and moves out . . . it's not instantaneous . . . but it will help level out the heat in a house.

It's all trial and error. Taping a strip of TP at the top doorways will tell you how the air is moving. For me, moving the fan a few feet does provide an instantaneous change. I can feel the heat move, and the TP confirms it.

I was curious about this in my house, which is a tri level colonial or so the real estate agent wanted to call it. I bought a couple of indoor outdoor thermometers and put one remote on each level. I have good convection because of the natural tendency for hot air to rise. I have seen no differences in remote temperatures with a fan on, or a fan off, cold air towards the heat. Somebody once posted that a house will find an equilibrium on its own. I am not done experimenting yet.

I just ripped out a wall tonight to improve airflow. Something I've wanted to do for a while.

Wyld Bill said:
I just ripped out a wall tonight to improve airflow. Something I've wanted to do for a while.

Bad day at work? :lol:

Now the real question Wyld Bill . . . the one that will tell us if you are a true Maniac or not . . .

Did you use your chainsaw to do this carpentry project? ;) :)

I was skeptical myself on blowing cold air toward the warm....Not any more! Real quick: stove in finished basement, centrally located stairwell. I used to push/pull the warm air up and it worked ok. I then switched to one box fan blowing on an angle down stairs and what a difference. I let the wife be the judge and she is perpetually cold. She says it works it works!

I will try the TP trick too.

Status
Not open for further replies.