Near boiler Piping Bypass Valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunderliggur said:
I drilled a 1/8" hole in the Danfoss plate (per the suggestion of Mark at AHONA) to allow cold return water to always flow in the loop, even just a little bit. Makes the balancing valve work more reliably at the price of a degree or two in the balance. I have not had any problems with the arrangement.

Are you talking about the seat plate . I dont think I want to take my piping apart again. Maybe in the summer. Should of told me at 08:00 this morning :coolsmile:

The Danfoss cover plate removes with 4 screws/bolts. Remove the assembly then drill a hole in the plate you just removed. REMEMBERnthe orientation so you put it back in the right way. You can change the valve orientation this way if your sticker is wrong ;-)

Hunderliggur said:
The Danfoss cover plate removes with 4 screws/bolts. Remove the assembly then drill a hole in the plate you just removed. REMEMBERnthe orientation so you put it back in the right way. You can change the valve orientation this way if your sticker is wrong ;-)

I think he is talking about the brass blocking plate?

You shouldn't have to take piping apart. the Danfoss guts come out pretty easy right out the plate.

Can We get an explanation on what the hole is suppose to actually do?

gg

The hole in the brass blocking plate alwayts allows a little flow through the primary loop. The modification was recommended by Mark at AHONA based on his experience with installations of many boilers. I'll contact him to see if I can get a more complete explanation. He has not steered me wrong yet.

According to Mark at AHONA, the small hole prevents the possbility of an air lock on the return side of the Danfoss.

taxidermist said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php?ACT=24&fid=21&aid=48526_9g2rYHS88cVJQgpTrEab&board_id=1

Hey Huffdawg.... where do you have this ball valve set at when you have a good burn going with return temps above 140*?

Hi Rob ,with the amount of storage I have now temps are not getting below 140 °F I have the danfoss almost shut.

Huff

huffdawg said:
taxidermist said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php?ACT=24&fid=21&aid=48526_9g2rYHS88cVJQgpTrEab&board_id=1

Hey Huffdawg.... where do you have this ball valve set at when you have a good burn going with return temps above 140*?

Hi Rob ,with the amount of storage I have now temps are not getting below 140 °F I have the danfoss almost shut.

Huff
If your storage never gets below 140* then shut it all the way. You are circulating water thru that loop and causing your boiler to go to idle before your storage is up to temp. Try it and let us know.

Rob

taxidermist said:
huffdawg said:
taxidermist said:

Huff
If your storage never gets below 140* then shut it all the way. You are circulating water thru that loop and causing your boiler to go to idle before your storage is up to temp. Try it and let us know.

Rob

Will do Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.