Near Boiler Piping Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

b33p3r

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 29, 2008
NE Pa
I'm on schedule to complete my near boiler piping in 2-3 weeks. Can the experts look at the diagram and let me know the best place to install hose bibs, temp and Pressure gauges and anything else I might have missed. It's an Econoburn 150. The "to house" piping will loop through my oil boiler.
Please don't focus on efficiency through the oil boiler, just the components needed(appreciated) in the near boiler piping of the wood boiler.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Near Boiler Piping Review
    Near Boiler.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 792
I will be watching this tread, Hopefully you will get some answers. I haven't gotten much feedback when trying to figure out my econoburn with storage piping.

gg

I'm ok with my piping. This is the layout called out by econoburn. I'm just looking for feedback from others that have been running their setups and wished they put a shutoff here or a drain bib there type thing. We'll see.

b33p3r said:
I'm ok with my piping. This is the layout called out by econoburn. I'm just looking for feedback from others that have been running their setups and wished they put a shutoff here or a drain bib there type thing. We'll see.

So I take it you are not running storage?

Econoburn and another forum poster both told me the circulator they provide does not protect the boiler from shock when using storage.

I would also think you would want valves and unions at the boiler and any other item you may need to remove at some point.

gg

No need for the check if circulators have built in flow checks. Dump zone will work better without it. Dump zone may not
flow at all depending on type of check.

I would put valves on the dump zone for automag service and on the supply return to oil boiler so you can isolate the Econoburn
from your existing system. You don't want a problem with the wood boiler to take out the oil backup....

No storage this year. However I do want to add storage later. If the wood works out well, I'll eliminate one of my oil tanks in the basement and use that space for storage.
I will add unions at the boiler. That may definately come in handy.
The check valve blocking the dump zone is a good point. I actually placed it in the wrong spot. It should be on the return line from oil boiler before the dump zone "T".
I'll also add valves to the auto mag and to the supply/return lines. Thanks for the input.

Not sure why you have two circulators. I have a Orlan Paxo and from the wood boiler return I have:

>----------------------- T----------->To Storage
|
Boiler <-- Circulator <---Danfoss T <---- Return from storage <----

The Danfoss is a 140F return protection T valve. There is a ball valve in the hot input of the Danfoss for flow balancing.

kabbott said:
No need for the check if circulators have built in flow checks. Dump zone will work better without it. Dump zone may not
flow at all depending on type of check.

I would put valves on the dump zone for automag service and on the supply return to oil boiler so you can isolate the Econoburn
from your existing system. You don't want a problem with the wood boiler to take out the oil backup....

+1, dump the check, and make sure you have an air vent at the high point of the dump zone.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I think I captured all the info but if you'd all take one more look I'd appreciate it. Call out anything I may have missed.
OOOps again. I believe the circulator on the house circuit should be on the return side.

Attachments

• Near Boiler Piping Review
    Near Boiler2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 607
Is this the final schematic design you went with? What is the connection point between the cold water return on your dump zone and your hot water line going to your boilers? I can't tell what the upside down half C is supposed to be. Thks.

Kent Price said:
Is this the final schematic design you went with? What is the connection point between the cold water return on your dump zone and your hot water line going to your boilers? I can't tell what the upside down half C is supposed to be. Thks.

I believe that is just showing the lines crossing each other.

Woodmaster is correct in saying it just shows the lines crossing each other. No fossil concern is noted. The local plumbing supply house had me install a flow valve to the bypass circuit. Please give me feed back if I need to do more.
Also, I need to install piping so I can add chemicals (anti rust, PH stuff) easily without draining the boiler. Suggestions?

b33p3r said:
Woodmaster is correct in saying it just shows the lines crossing each other. No fossil concern is noted. The local plumbing supply house had me install a flow valve to the bypass circuit. Please give me feed back if I need to do more.
Also, I need to install piping so I can add chemicals (anti rust, PH stuff) easily without draining the boiler. Suggestions?

I haven't found one yet but apparently they make chemical feeders that can be opened without draining system.

Another thing I want to place after my Tank is a filter or dirt trap, any suggestions?

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.