Necessary Alternative.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer

Aug 16, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
Some of you may remember my dilemma. I have a Newport Bay insert that will stick half way into room if put in "dog-house". The alternatives were use the Astoria surround or scrap the insert and get a free standing stove. Well, as it turns out, I have been either blessed or cursed. Today I bought a Jamestown J1000B with a vent, pellets, starter, all original documents, including the sales brochure with the buyers notes. Got the invoice, install order, owners manual, and a bottle and half of starter gel. Nice folks, didn't sell it until all things were together. Even under torture I will not reveal the price, less than the ZC box for the Avalon. It shows a manufacturing date of 1994, but is very nice. Needs a cleaning, but even the hopper was full of good pellets.

Here's the deal. I have read the owners manual. Cover says, Hi-Tech Stoves, Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah. Was Jamestown at sometime a Utah Corp? The model numbers are consistent with the current model, all the way around. I have searched the Net and can't find any history for the company. If it was originally built in Utah, I can guarantee all mechanical parts are off the shelf. Not worried there,. What does concern me is a stove this old, not likely to be serviceable? Anyone have a Jamestown and how happy are you with it? I know it is manual and doesn't have all the whistles and bells, but my 1990 Chevy Van still gets great gas mileage and takes me in relatively luxury from here to there, and I never have to worry about it being stolen. Did I get a work horse, Or a stubborn mule?

Best part is it sticks out 13 1/2 inches plus the one inch clearance from the wall.

I'm keeping the Avalon and will later build the enclosure. May be the hit of the customer room for the shop. I need to buy $35. in parts to install, and means I will have heat, in three days.

Comments or editorial are greatly appreciated.

Hi UR,

Looks like you got a $2,500 pellet eater for a good price.

http://www.spiritelements.com/Fire-...toves/Jamestown-Pellet-Stove-on-Pedestal.aspx

(Nice find, we should all be so fortunate!! :) :lol: )

Note at the bottom of the above promo how to contact the retailer

[email protected] 1-866-637-2705

Seems they are located at

Project Living
6672 Gunpark Drive
Boulder, Colorado
80301 USA

http://www.jamestownpelletstoves.com/article/19.asp

And you might want to pm MountainStoveGuy to ask his input on the company, since Boulder, Colorado is in his neck of the woods & he is a hearth dealer.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.