Need a chimney liner installed. Can I do it myself?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

seannaber

Nov 28, 2017
Rockville, MD
Had a cleaning and inspection done, and my flue tiles are all missing mortar and have shifted considerably. The fireplace cannot be used as-is, and I was quoted $3,000 to put in a stainless steel liner and insulate.

After reviewing some how-to videos and websites, I really think this is something I can do myself for around $500. Buy a liner kit, knock out a few bricks in the fireplace so the liner can fit, install the liner, install mesh and then mortar in the fireplace, pour insulation down chimney, top off with chimney cap.

With the help of another person to guide the liner down the chimney, I'm confident that I can do this myself.

Am i overlooking anything that might make me change my mind?

Sounds like you've got it. You don't really need to mess with pour-in insulation, unless you're doing that to strengthen the masonry. You can just wrap the liner pipe in insulation material, or buy pre-insulated pipe. Most places that sell liners also sell the insulation kits.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/reline-a-masonry-chimney.147725/

p.s. I just re-read your post. Are you installing a stove? My reply is for a stove installation. Liner for using the fireplace would be different, and I'm not sure about the specifics...larger diameter than a stove pipe for starters.

Last edited:
Sorry, should have been more specific. I'd be installing in an existing wood-burning fireplace.

My understanding is that I need a liner that's at least 1/10th the diameter of the opening of the fireplace

Sorry, should have been more specific. I'd be installing in an existing wood-burning fireplace.

My understanding is that I need a liner that's at least 1/10th the diameter of the opening of the fireplace
Yes you need to maintain atleast a 1/10 ratio between the size of the liner and the size of the firebox opening. You also should not use plain mortar in the smoke chamber. A product like chamber tech meant for the application works much better. I would say it is certainly doable for a good diyer but $500 sounds really low even for just the liner. Then you need to add in components a few bags of insulation an a couple buckets of chambertech. Because you should parge the whole smoke chamber while you are doing it. The buckets of chambertech are about $70 a peice. I dont know what thermix is a bag when you are only buying a couple but i would guess $40 to $50 a bag. It adds up quick. Oh and parging a smoke chamber through the damper may look easy in videos but it sucks.

There's your answer, but this wouldn't be Hearth.com if I didn't ask:

Are you sure that you do not want to install a stove or an insert? A fireplace requires a larger flue because it sucks so much air out of your home, warm air that you probably use a heat pump or furnace to heat. Most of us consider an open fireplace to be a heat loser. Word is that FP efficiency can be as low as negative 10-20%!

Yeah, the open fire is romantic and everything, but a modern stove/insert with a nice big window that stays clean and displays a beautiful flame show can be quite nice, as can a warmer home with lower electric/fuel bills.;)
The liner job is the hardest part of installing a stove/insert, so this is the time to give it due consideration. . .

Last edited:
There's your answer, but this wouldn't be Hearth.com if I didn't ask:

Are you sure you do not want to install a stove or an insert? A fireplace requires a larger flue because it sucks in so much air out of your home, warm air that you probably use a heat pump or furnace to heat. Most of us consider an open fireplace to be a heat loser. Word is that FP efficiency can be as low as -10%!

Yeah, the open fire is romantic and everything, but a modern stove/insert with a nice big window that stays clean and displays a beautiful flame show can be quite nice, as can a warmer home with lower electric/fuel bills.;)

Well, I did a little snooping around online and didn't like the cost of inserts. But, that doesn't mean I didn't end my search too hastily. An insert would be necessary due to space. Are there any that are well-loved in this community that I should consider?

Ok i just check some retail prices it looks like chambertech is about $100 a bucket you will probably need 2. Thermix is $60 to $70 a bag. I dont know your height liner size ect but i will guess 3 bags. Just at that you are pretty much at $400.

Ok i just check some retail prices it looks like chambertech is about $100 a bucket you will probably need 2. Thermix is $60 to $70 a bag. I dont know your height liner size ect but i will guess 3 bags. Just at that you are pretty much at $400.

Yeah, plus liner and bottom plate and I'm getting closer to $1,500 than $500. I think I need to look more into putting an insert in. Any recs on where to start there? I see the FAQ about stoves, but not about inserts.

Yeah, plus liner and bottom plate and I'm getting closer to $1,500 than $500. I think I need to look more into putting an insert in. Any recs on where to start there? I see the FAQ about stoves, but not about inserts.
Why don't you want a stove? If you have the room, IMHO that's the better option.

Usually it will sit in the fireplace and will protrude somewhat (depending on stove/fireplace). A stove can sit in a fireplace depending on how big the fireplace is.

A few things to think about when putting a stove in a fireplace. The clearances are not rated for a wood mantel close by, the blower will be in the rear making it hard to service, and the hearth may need to be extended to provide safe ember protection. Depending on the setup, a good insert sometimes better meet clearance requirements, be less hassle and will do a good job. If one likes the look the surround can be left off of some inserts.

What are the fireplace dimensions?

I'm not sure which FAQ you mean, but here's a bunch on chimneys.

https://chimneysweeponline.com/libchimneys.htm

Basically, an insert is a stove than you can shove back into the FP. Some folks do this with a freestanding stove, but most stoves are too tall to fit under most FP lintels. So, the main difference is that inserts are shorter.;lol

...shorter and designed to work with a blower which circulates air inside an outer shell, because you need that to get the heat out of the FP. Otherwise, the heat tends to get soaked up by the FP masonry, and if it's a FP on an exterior wall with an external chimney, much of this heat finds it's way to the great outdoors. For these reasons, I'm not a fan of inserts, but they can be effective heaters, and you have to go with what will fit your space...unless you want to get into remodeling your hearth, which many here have done.

I went with a "hearth-mounted" stove, which sits just outside the FP, and vents out the back, into the FP and up the chimney. This is not an inexpensive option, because there aren't that many rear-venting stoves with a flue collar low enough for the pipe to pass below an average FP lintel.

Inexpensive stoves are mostly top-venting. The typical way to install in front of a FP would be to run stove pipe up a few feet, then punch back through the wall and into the masonry chimney, where you connect to a liner. Some hearth modification, but you don't have to hassle with getting your liner down through the damper frame, which usually involves cutting the damper frame or removing the whole thing.

If you don't want to do either of these installs, you're looking at an insert. Offhand, I'd start with the Pacific Energy inserts. Their Summit has quite a few fans here. I don't know what they call their smaller ones, I think they have a few now. PE aren't the chespest, but they're not the most expensive either, and folks seem to like them. I like the one-piece stainless baffle/secondary air system that PE uses instead of several air tubes.

Someone who follows inserts more closely will have more recommendations for you. You need to measure the interior dimensions of your FP to see what will fit, and tell us the size of the space you want to heat, to appropriately size the stove/insert. Even if you can fit only a small insert into your FP, still way better than an open FP.

Oh yeah, besides the $ you will save on Thermix and Chambertech, 6" pipe is a lot cheaper than the 10" or larger pipe you would need for the FP, so factor that into your stove/insert budget. Most of us figure that our wood heaters pay for themselves after some years of saving on heat bills.:cool:

A few things to think about when putting a stove in a fireplace. The clearances are not rated for a wood mantel close by, the blower will be in the rear making it hard to service, and the hearth may need to be extended to provide safe ember protection. Depending on the setup, a good insert sometimes better meet clearance requirements, be less hassle and will do a good job. If one likes the look the surround can be left off of some inserts.

What are the fireplace dimensions?

It's 32w x 29h x 25d (inches)

Attachments

• 15119124256362072743713.jpg
    15119124256362072743713.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 112
OK, 29" is not that tall and there is very little hearth lip. For a freestanding to fit it would require a short, small stove. An insert would be an easy fit.

How do you intend to heat, 24/7 or mostly nights and weekends? How open is the fireplace room to the rest of the house?

Last edited:
. . .and your FP is elevated. Looks like 15-20".

Another option would be to bust out the floor of the FP, then you would have room for a whole lot of different stoves. I don't see a wood mantel to worry about, but as Mr. Green mentioned, clearance to the wood trim/shelves on either side might be an issue. Some stoves have a "convective" outer shell like an insert, and will fit tight clearance-to-combustibles, but these are not the cheapest stoves. You might need to determine whether or not the floor of that FP will support the weight of an insert, which could easily be 500lbs.

Looks like stone in the floor in front of the FP? How far out does that extend?

Last edited:
Only intend to heat at night and on the weekends.

The stone tile that'sin front of the fireplace only extends about 18". The home is very open layout, so I'm confident the heat would transfer well to the kitchen and upstairs

Sounds like a flush insert of about 2 cu ft would work for you. There are several to choose from. You might have more options besides flush, but it's hard to tell how much of a shelf there is in front of the fireplace. How deep is that ledge from the face of the fireplace?

Do you mean that line of lighter colored brick? It sticks out any inch or so. What are a few of the options you had in mind? Always itching to start researching!

Some mid-sized flush inserts are the Regency Alterra Ci1250, or the larger Osburn Matrix insert, the Pacific Energy Neo 1.6 or 2.5, the Jotul C350, the Quadrafire Voyager, and others.

If your fireplace opening is 32" x 29" and the chimney is less than 25' in height you will need either an 11" round liner or a Rectangle or Square liner that has around 95 sq inch area...9.75 x 9.75 square will work depending on your flue size. You may need to remove the clay tiles in some situations. These liners will not be flexible once they are shaped, so you will need to stand then straight up, then lower them down.