Need a Good Coffee Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PyroBlonde said:
Why bother with a coffee maker that costs money and takes up space on your counter? I use a teakettle, a thermal carafe, a Melitta cone and filter. Fill up the carafe with water and pour the water into the kettle. Set the Melitta cone and filter into the carafe, add drip coffee to taste (about 6 level tablespoons) and just a sprinkle of salt. When the water comes to a boil, pour it into the cone. When the water drips through, you’ll have coffee that tastes good to the bottom of the carafe and stays hot all day. Heat the water on your woodstove…if the power goes out, you can still have your fix. As for coffee, Folger’s Columbian (purchased with a coupon) does it for me!

Because I drink 2 cups max per day and the Keurig system is awesome. Cup of coffee in 30 seconds.

REI sells a great 1 cup coffee maker, fits on top of your cup, add the ground coffee, pour 1 cup of hot water from the microwave, and your great coffee is done in no time. Doesn't waste coffee, and you'll probably never again throw away brewed coffee.

I have been a Chock-Full-Of-Nuts fan for years with My Melior press type coffee maker, but I did discover by accident a much better coffee. It's Yuban Organic ... Packed with so much caffine it makes you shake, plus it is a pleasant new flavor for those who drink the off shelf stuff.

It's amazing how fast one gets spoiled by those coffee flavors. I was into the French Press last year, but it does bring forward some of the more bitter tastes also...so I like the drip right now....and I am into Matts Wood Burning "Early Riser" blend. I'm a "brown" coffee type....no burnt stuff for me!

I'm getting to the point now where I can tell one or two week old beans (one or two weeks out of vac pack) from fresh.......and I don't like 'em old.

Heck, it's one of those expensive habits that makes life worth living....still way less than Starbucks.

Folgers Columbian -- for over a decade. And I am pretty picky/snobby! I just use a cone and paper filters

jeffee said:
Folgers Columbian -- for over a decade. And I am pretty picky/snobby! I just use a cone and paper filters

Never any recriminations for responces...Jeffee you spoke true and spread the word ... I shall try the Folgers Columbian roast... I hope it is superior to the names and products previously stated... I think you have a sense of the busy days people spend and the quick drip you suggest is a great thing. Where does one get a simple drip coffee maker with throw away filters?
Your contribution is very much appreciated....
Joey Chang

It's kind of disappointing that a simple cone to hold a filter is not very easy to get. I looked online and found this place

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.brewers.shtml

scroll down about 2/3 of the way down the page to where they have "filtercone holders" if you want to have one shipped from the west coast. Or just use one from a coffeemaker -- I just boil water in a kettle or saucepan and wait a bit (30 seconds?) then pour just enough hot water to get the coffee grounds wet, then wait just a moment for the grounds to 'expand' or whatever they do, then pour the rest of the water over the grounds. I have the filtercone with paper filter and coffee grounds in it right on my empty cup. You can get paper filters at any supermarket.

When coffee has finished dripping into your cup, remove filtercone and enjoy.

I did buy a gold permanent filter for my free Gevalia and it did serve me well until my ex absconded with it ...just to be spiteful...She doesn't even drink coffee.

Technivorm :http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.technivorm.shtml
They do not list the one I have: http://www.technivorm.com/products/kbg741.html

The only problems are no timer, and you need to watch it while it is working if you close the spout to let the coffee brew a bit before filling the pot. But it is a very fast machine, so not a problem timewise. Heck, if you like tending a fire, I doubt you will mind tending a brewpot for a couple minutes.

Sweet Marias is a good site. I recommend them. Lots of good stuff there, even vacuum brewers, home coffee roasters and green coffee beans.
Also check out http://www.coffeegeek.com

The best and easiest way for coffee is a french press. Being the only coffee drinker in the house I can make two cups of perfect coffee in the morning as quick as boiling H2O!

My coffee consumption is limited to 1 cup per day, but that 1 cup I made was equal to 8 cups of Espresso. I had a Krupts espresso maker and used to make an 8 cup mix of espresso every morning and drink it all myself before going off to the salt mines. It was a fathers day gift, but when I left that toxic relationship ... I did forget to ask for the espresso maker... so now I have a French press Meleior coffee pot that makes 8 regular (small cups of coffee)at one time....I probably did mispell the name, but I think it is close ...

These days I go to diners and just ask for a cup of mud...and it still tastes good to me.

My kudos to the french press as well I've been brewing coffee with a press for 10 years... I have 2 different sizes a small 12 oz for brewing one cup at a time, a the large 48oz for brewing 12 cups... We use the large one most every day....

JHall said:
My kudos to the french press as well I've been brewing coffee with a press for 10 years... I have 2 different sizes a small 12 oz for brewing one cup at a time, a the large 48oz for brewing 12 cups... We use the large one most every day....

Have had that coffee pot for 30 years, but did have to replace the glass caraf once through neligent handling...I think the original glass said melior and it did cost $100 back 30 years ago, bit the replacement glass pot was only $20...stainless and glass

i have a bunn and love it. it's just like the commercial bunn with a plastic cone instead of metal. you can duplicate rest/coffee shop coffee in it if you get the same coffee that they have. if you know duncan donuts out here in boston you can almost duplicate their taste with the coffee that they sell but not the same because they use a different in their makers than the one they sell as ground. but close. i make a half a pot every morning in 90 seconds

I was shopping the coffee pot scene last night since life now dictates that 12 cups is not enough coffee in one pot. Why oh why can't the manufacturers come up with a 20 cupper? Size matters.

Highbeam said:
I was shopping the coffee pot scene last night since life now dictates that 12 cups is not enough coffee in one pot. Why oh why can't the manufacturers come up with a 20 cupper? Size matters.
Highbeam, check into those 30 cup Faberware or even better Reverware. They are not so expensive anymore since there are so many pots for sale. They are always runing 20% off coupons at 'linens and things '

JoeyJ said:
Highbeam said:
Highbeam, check into those 30 cup Faberware or even better Reverware. They are not so expensive anymore since there are so many pots for sale. They are always runing 20% off coupons at 'linens and things '

might even get more off of the price. last night i hear on the news that they are selling of everything. going out of bus sale.

The LNT site only had a 40 cupper and that is way too much. 18-25 would be perfect. Amazing how cheap the urns are compared to the standard pots. Even a mid market drip pot is more expensive than the normal urn. Amazon has several.

being a bt cheap I go with the gevilia free offer - then buy the mesh filter at store for 4 bucks

yeah I needed to buy a little coffee to get it "free" but it works well and the iniital coffee was a nice treat

a pot of water sitting on the wood stove, toss in some grounds wait a little bit then toss in part of an eggshell (makes the grounds sink to the bottom) and dip your cup off the top. I only do this about 5 months a year. the rest of the year I use my Bunn.

I brew Folgers Columbian I buy the whole bean and grind it at the store lasts me about a week if no company comes over and wants to drink coffee.
I got some Gevilia coffee given to me and it was pretty good, Man is that coffee Pricey.

crazy_dan said:
I got some Gevilia coffee given to me and it was pretty good, Man is that coffee Pricey.

Of course it's pricey - they have to cover the cost of all those cheapskates (like me) that order a coffee pot and then cancel... :coolgrin:

I forget the brand, but it's a 4 cup mini-Mr. Coffee style drip machine, I use it with whatever high-test grade coffee is on sale at the local stores "scratch and dent" rack...

Gooserider

We have used an Electric Coffee Pot by Farberware for years. We have two because if one goes bad we have a backup and buying a second one on sale worked out great. The coffee is good and hot and keeps a temp control without the burnt taste. We have tried drip makers from Cuisinart to Mr. Coffee to Bunn. Still like the Farberware the best and you do not have to use a filter because it has a metal filter included. This coffeemaker comes in three sizes. We like Folgers Columbian coffee and really love Dunkin Donuts medium roast coffee when we treat ourselves to a pound..... but a bit pricey for one pound. Folgers is what we use most of the time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.