Need a recommendation for a modern wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have worded the question wrongly to VC ,therfore got the wrong answer both stoves cat and non cat have thermoatically controler air. One is secondary the cats the non thermatic is connected to the primary thanks for the clarification Seaken

And thaks to both of you for taking the time to help me with this. I know about the old time VCs because I have one. They simply opened or closed the primary air door via a light chain connected to a bimetallic coil spring that sensed temperature at the top of the stove. Primary air control was all that was required. That is a type of control I was looking for because I'm familiar with it, but maybe it is no longer available. The idea that a secondary combustion can also be thermostatically controlled is something that is new to me. I'd think that it would be a tricky engineering problem to get the proportion between primary and secondary to work right over a wide range of temperatures, drafts, and types of wood
Of course anything that reduces that range - in particular making the stove burn hot all the time - would make the engineering part of the problem much easier to solve.
Thanks to all, scotty

Who is you dealer? If you have a good experence with them let me know, im always looking for quality companies to recommed my customers to for products i dont sell.

I don't really have one. A decade ago I knew all the local dealers and of course they all sold Vermont Castings....but the northern one (Friendly Fire) is out of business and the other major dealer in Boulder, Colo doesn't carry VC any longer....That's interesting, as it was the strong support of that popular hardware store that made VC so popular around here. In fact, people in the mountains of Colorado still tend to rate wood stoves as Vermont Castings versus "all others" - and that is very hard to change.
scotty

scotty said:
I don't really have one. A decade ago I knew all the local dealers and of course they all sold Vermont Castings....but the northern one (Friendly Fire) is out of business and the other major dealer in Boulder, Colo doesn't carry VC any longer....That's interesting, as it was the strong support of that popular hardware store that made VC so popular around here. In fact, people in the mountains of Colorado still tend to rate wood stoves as Vermont Castings versus "all others" - and that is very hard to change.
scotty

I hear that there is a really knowledgable guy managing the hearth department over at McGuckin's Hardware in Boulder. Guy named Ryan. Handles a lot of nice stove brands. Why don't you give him a call.

I second that recommendation! I bought my Quad from him...

the quad does have one model that has smokless top loading. You already found the dealer you should be doing business with. That's the most important part of the stove process

I want to point this guy to a good dealer. Im definatly not trying to drum up business. But i appreciate the kind words. I posted earlier in this thread some good reputable dealers for VC. More importantly, if you need a installer, i will make sure you get someone good. Im only trying to help, i hang out here for fun and to learn, if you have at questions about any of the stoves i carry give me a call, i will help you with any questions that i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.