Need a wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locust Post

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast Ohio
Got some here I am not sure of. Doesn't seem to be a softwood but then again it is not dry. I just can't remember seeing this ever before. It was a tree along the edge of a corn field and was cut several months ago so no leaves. Id of wood 001.jpgId of wood 002.jpgId of wood 003.jpgId of wood 004.jpg

Reactions: zap
Looks like some kind of young maple.

Ailanthus/Tree Of Hell. Nasty things,very brittle branches & twigs,the smaller twigs & flowers really stink.Wood somewhat resembles White Ash in color & grain pattern,but is much softer & weaker.Had 2 large & 1 medium ones removed from property in March 2000,didnt want to pay to dump the wood at county landfill,have it set on curb for weeks or take it to parents acreage so I split it all (about 4 p/u loads if I remember) & burned it that winter.Only good thing was it dried very fast,but it left more ash than anything I've ever burned.Never again- its the only wood I wont cut or bring home.

I'd say ailanthus/tree of heaven may well be what I have here. I did a search and the bark looks similar. That's a new one on me. If it is as bad as Thistle says it is I'm glad I don't have a lot of it. I'm sure I can mix a piece in here and there.

A large branch from an ailanthus tree came down in my yard a few weeks ago. It took out 2 sections of my split rail fence. It fell about 50 feet from my log splitter. I proceeded to cut it up and throw it in the woods.
Nasty, smelly wood.
True story.

Truly an invasive species. It propagates by seed and sucker. Its leaves exude some chemical that washes off in the rain and suppresses the growth of many trees around it. I've not noticed any disease or pest damage on my ailanthus. If you cut one down, its root system sends up dozens of new shoots.

Last spring and summer I spent processing firewood. This spring and summer I'll be solving my ailanthus problem with a little Tordon RTU.

Thats Tulip!

Most likely tree of heaven, possibly buckeye.

Its our state tree......lol To easy!

That brown streak of almost foam-like stuff running down the center isn't in tulip.

saw buck.jpg saw bbbbbbbbb.jpg

Here is a couple limbs of a known tuip tree.

I think it is Ailanthus. Watch for suckers from the roots and kill them. I agree it is at the bottom of my list of preferred firewoods. I think I like even willow better.

It is either sumack or poplar. Sumack's can get pretty big fast and the bark is very similar to poplar, most likely popple. Sumack would be a likely candidate on the edge of a field because it is almost always the first tree to grow.

It is either sumack or poplar. Sumack's can get pretty big fast and the bark is very similar to poplar, most likely popple. Sumack would be a likely candidate on the edge of a field because it is almost always the first tree to grow.

The description of ailanthus on the search I did I believe said it was of the sumaac family. We'll just call it swamp ash. I kid my cutting buddy about that, anything he's not sure of and asks me I say "swamp ash"
Those pieces I believe were from the main trunk. Not the bottom but not a limb if I remember it was not that big of a tree. Heck I've cut so much the last 6 months it's hard to tell for sure.

The smell should tell you for sure. Tulip smells good, ailanthus smells like rotten potatos

Status
Not open for further replies.