Need Advice - Custom Mahogany Wood Mantel 12" Above Zero Vent Majestic Gets Hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjobson

Jan 30, 2006
My friend built for me a beautiful custom mantel from mahogany which has the mantel shelf which is a long rectangular box that is 20" above the firebox opening but the bottom of the mantel shelf box is starting 12.25" above the fireplace box opening. This wood structure extends out 10.5" at 12" above the opening of the fireplace with the shelf on top being 12" outward. The codes for my Majestic SHR42A state that i must be 12" up and no more than 12" out with a combustible mantel which i a in code with. The bottom of the mantel box gets hot to touch for about the front underside's 4 inches or so of depth.

The width of the area is 57" and i cannot find a mantel shield that is that wide. Where would i go locally to get one made for me ? And would copper be a good material to use ?

Before i put the stone around the mantel i want to ensure that i get this mantel shield installed but i can only find one on internet that is only 47" wide.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. This mantel is a $3500 mantel when u look at it and i want to put a mantel shield under it that doesn't take away from the beauty of the woodwork done to it.

Thanks !
TJ

tjny said:
My friend built for me a beautiful custom mantel from mahogany which has the mantel shelf which is a long rectangular box that is 20" above the firebox opening but the bottom of the mantel shelf box is starting 12.25" above the fireplace box opening. This wood structure extends out 10.5" at 12" above the opening of the fireplace with the shelf on top being 12" outward. The codes for my Majestic SHR42A state that i must be 12" up and no more than 12" out with a combustible mantel which i a in code with. The bottom of the mantel box gets hot to touch for about the front underside's 4 inches or so of depth.

The width of the area is 57" and i cannot find a mantel shield that is that wide. Where would i go locally to get one made for me ? And would copper be a good material to use ?

Before i put the stone around the mantel i want to ensure that i get this mantel shield installed but i can only find one on internet that is only 47" wide.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. This mantel is a $3500 mantel when u look at it and i want to put a mantel shield under it that doesn't take away from the beauty of the woodwork done to it.

Thanks !
TJ

Well, I can only say that the fabrication of the copper will be critical to making it look right. My Majestic also used to make the mantle get hot. Seems funny, now with a full fledged Woodstove, nothing get's even all that warm above it. Granted I rebuilt my mantle to meet the clearance requirements (+ 6") of the Osburn. One thing you might try...My insert has a blower. Your Majestic can also have a blower. Maybe try that first and see if a blower keeps things cooler by moving the heat out instead of up.

Why not just move the piece up?

As long as your inside the envelope the manufacture suggests your ok, the human touch cant come close to taking the tempertures it takes to combust wood. You can install a blower and run it on LOW to gently push the air away insted of letting it roll up the fireplace front. Copper transmits heat very very well. Our showroom fireplaces have mantles surrounds around them (some to close) and they have been running for years, they get hot. They havent split or charred or even come clost to burning. And we are not withing code due to the changing displays.
Ryan

If you are within the manufacturer's vertical and horizontal guidelines, you should be fine. I believe Majestic is a reputable manufacturer who has tested and had UL (or other testing agencys) approve what they specify in the owner's manual.

Bear in mind that survaced don't have to be much above 100 degrees to feel uncomfortably warm. Charring and flash points for wood are at 400 degrees and above. Some dealers use laser thermomenter to show customers that a 150-175 degree surface feels very hot, but is well below any danger.

I'm sure there are others who will post on this topic, and will also comment on the impact of heat on the varnish or finish materials.

SMK

Status
Not open for further replies.