Need advice for setting up an old gas fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lapelliroja

Jan 24, 2007
My condo was built in 1979 and has a built in, vented, gas fireplace. When I moved in the gas line from the outside was capped and there was no log assembly. I purchased a log assembly but need some advice. The articles I've been reading online all talk about turning on a switch and lighting the pilot light. My parents have a new home and these articles fit what I've seen in their home. However in my home there aren't any switches to turn on and I don't see a pilot light to light.

Is is possible that the fireplace is so old that these don't exist? If so, are there alternatives to get the fireplace to a usable condition? If so, where would I go to buy the parts that I need? I've been to three home repair stores that do not have any information nor do they appear to have any related parts that I would need.

Thanks so much for your time. I really appreciate your assistance and advice. I'd love to have a warm living room!

Christina

did you buy the saftey pilot kit for your gas log?
you have a wood burning fireplace that your converting to gas correct? this was not originaly a gas fireplace?
where did you buy the log set?
you will need to pull a permit if you already havent.

It is my understanding that it was an original gas fireplace. I purchased the log set at Lowe's. I did not purchase a pilot kit. They did not appear to have pilot kits. Is there some type of specialty store that would carry them?

By 'pull a permit' were you referring to if I'd just converted the fireplace from wood to gas?

Thanks!
C

If you have a gas fireplace, and not a wood fireplace, you cant install your gas log. You can burn your house down and or carbon monoxide poison your self if this is not done properly and installed in a WOOD BURNING fireplace. You need to pull a permit no matter what.
Go to a hearth shop and get a pilot kit.

Gotta love lowes.

Status
Not open for further replies.