Need advice on a new no frills stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lunchbox13

Sep 27, 2020
Washington
Hello all!
First time poster here, hoping I can pick some brains and narrow down my search. For about 12 years I heated my house with an early 90s Whitfield Advantage II (that I originally cobbled together from a couple stoves) and it worked great for that time. Eventually it got to the point where basically every part in the stove needed to be replaced (I had already shimmed the auger motor once, done a few component replacements on the board and replaced a few other components) so when I bought my current house I left it behind. Now I'm in the market for a brand new stove but have no clue what's out there as far as quality or parts availability. I would like to find a stove that is relatively bare bones (considering an auto ignite system though) and offers a good value. I don't want or need the latest and greatest stove out there, I value durability over bells and whistles. Some input from stove techs would be appreciated as well, as you guys are the ones that see the failures and shortcomings first hand. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer!

Look for a used Harman, P43 or P61A, autolight and low maintenance, easiest to clean

Welcome to the Forum.
My best advice is to find a stove you like and buy it!
a good 50% or more people on this forum have Harman
Good stove, expensive. I have used an Enviro stove for
18 years easy to operate, clean, and repair. Repairs have
been few and easy on the pocketbook. I also buy up old
Enviro stoves refurbish and sell to those
that need a stove but don't have much money.
Pick a few that you like and ask your question again
this way we can focus on what you like

Reactions: Washed-Up
I've had excellent service from my USSC Hearth Focus stove (over 12 years now) with very little replacement parts. I'd buy another one in a minute. Very easy to maintain and clean out.

Check out the Castle Serenity stove. Fairly simple and always gets good reviews. It really comes down to what you are willing to spend and need to heat. I run Harmans and love them but they are pricey.

If you want a 'no frills' stove that uses no electricity, had no electronic brain box and needs nothing but filled every day, check out the Wiseway stove (sold by USSC) now. It's 100% self running. No external power what so ever and easy to clean. You light it with some accelerant and let it go. Keep it filled and empty the ashpan every few days and that is it.

No blowers, no combustion fan, natural draft combustion. No computer box to fry from voltage spikes. No room air blower either, natural convection. Cannot get any simpler than that. Even a moron can operate it.

If you give a little more info like sq.ft your heating and price range folks can give better recommendations.

We've been very happy with our Enviro stove (Hudson River Chatham model). It's easy to operate and clean. It does require electricity and has a circuit board, however.

Enviro Mini A's are really simple. Not sure of the heat output you need.

I was going to get Cab50 before I went Harmon XXV. Seemed like good No Frills Stove. I could have got floor model couple years ago for 1400.

If you want a 'no frills' stove that uses no electricity, had no electronic brain box and needs nothing but filled every day, check out the Wiseway stove (sold by USSC) now. It's 100% self running. No external power what so ever and easy to clean. You light it with some accelerant and let it go. Keep it filled and empty the ashpan every few days and that is it.

No blowers, no combustion fan, natural draft combustion. No computer box to fry from voltage spikes. No room air blower either, natural convection. Cannot get any simpler than that. Even a moron can operate it.
Sidecar! Shh! USSC ain’t what they used to be! Stop peddling their RTVed together piles of scrap! Unless your on their payroll, in which case, you do you. Lol. I had a terrible run with USSC from 2016-2019 and I just stopped carrying them because it wasn’t profitable to go work on year old stoves that already had leaking for boxes that couldn’t hold a vacuum.

Hello all!
First time poster here, hoping I can pick some brains and narrow down my search. For about 12 years I heated my house with an early 90s Whitfield Advantage II (that I originally cobbled together from a couple stoves) and it worked great for that time. Eventually it got to the point where basically every part in the stove needed to be replaced (I had already shimmed the auger motor once, done a few component replacements on the board and replaced a few other components) so when I bought my current house I left it behind. Now I'm in the market for a brand new stove but have no clue what's out there as far as quality or parts availability. I would like to find a stove that is relatively bare bones (considering an auto ignite system though) and offers a good value. I don't want or need the latest and greatest stove out there, I value durability over bells and whistles. Some input from stove techs would be appreciated as well, as you guys are the ones that see the failures and shortcomings first hand. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer!
I’d second the mentions of Harman p:43 or 61 if you want something that will last you 20-30 years. If you want cheap: look at castle, Comfortbuilt and ecochoice (now branded under Quadrafire). Enviro was great back in the day, but I don’t have much experience with them so I won’t say yay or nay.