Need Advice on Chainsaws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chops67

Nov 12, 2009
S.Jersey
Looking to purchase a chainsaw. I want it for trimming firewood to size. I dont plan on going into the woods and dropping trees. Just something for firewood. Which are best built most reliable. What size would be best.

You are already buying cut/split firewood and only get an occasional long one? I'd probably use a handsaw. Maybe a cheap mitre/chop saw or circular saw or sawzall.

I think an electric chainsaw would be overkill and possibly dangerous since you might be tempted to use your foot to hold the split. Gas would certainly be overkill unless you figured you may need it for ice storm limb removal and cleanup.

Matt

chops67 said:
Looking to purchase a chainsaw. I want it for trimming firewood to size. I dont plan on going into the woods and dropping trees. Just something for firewood. Which are best built most reliable. What size would be best.

Stihl 290 - 18" bar. You'll never wear it out. I've been cutting 5-10 cord per year for the last 6 or 7 years with no hiccups or hassle.

,ot any will do for you in that app... get a nice inexpensive craftsman or poulan, then get a semi chisel chain (the stock safety chains are junk) for it, and you'll be styling

Stihl ms 170 or 180 very light and easy to use

It sounds like all you are doing is trimming the occasional split that is too long. If that is the case I would suggest an electric chainsaw. If that is all you are doing, why would you want the bother of a gas one. Build a trimming rack or small sawbuck.

If you want a gas one, I would agree with a Stihl MS170 or a Poulon or Craftsman.

If that is the case I would suggest an electric chainsaw.

+1 - I borrowed by father-in-law's electric chainsaw for just this purpose and it works great for cutting splits to size. But be safe and build a jig of some kind to hold the split while you cut.

Honestly, I cut my oversized splits down with my sawzall.

A sawbuck and a Swede saw. Less waste. More exercise.

A sharp axe and lots of swinging. or an electric chainsaw, or a bow saw.

I once got 3 cords for free but is was all bucked to 24 inches and my stove could only take 20 inch. I just couldn't see making all that sawdust with the wide kerf of my chainsaw and I wanted a safe way for my two sons to cut the 3 inches off every split so I took out the Sawzall.

Consider other uses for the item
Sawzall with a wood cutting blade works pretty good for trimming wood or even small tree branch removal , construction demo / installation
I have a porter cable nice unit around 100.00, there are other less expensive brands that would also work fine

Electric chainsaw works very good for trimming and branch removal , low cost I have a little 14" with easy adjust chain and auto oiler for
50.00 at lowes / home depot

small gas saw works very good for trimming and cutting Used to have a Poolan cost about 129.00 and was a total POS as all the low
end craftyman, mccolic ect . Most are made by the same company and labeled for the retailer. So expect to pay150.00
or more for a small stihl , husqvarna, dolmar .

Electric pole saw works good for trimming firewood with pole detached and with pole attached trim branches 15' up in the tree
I have a remington 10" saw 15 extension electric saw cost about 80.00 at box stores

So you see several options and best use for you could be determined if there are other things you could use it for.
The sawzall is a little slower than the others but a little safer although these small electric chainsaws don't have much kickback and are not too hard to handle.
The small gas unit would be a little more dangerous but any could do some damage if for example you slipped and hit your leg or foot.

LLigetfa +1

Made a sawbuck for the back of my JD Gator and use it and a Swede bow saw for most wood smaller than 3". Cuts very fast, is safe, no gasoline, good exercise, less wasted wood. For some strange reason, I feel more in tune with nature using the bow saw.

John_M

Tony H said:
The sawzall is a little slower than the others but a little safer although these small electric chainsaws don't have much kickback and are not too hard to handle.
What kind of sawzall are you using? My Milwaukee Super Sawzall and a decent blade goes right through hardwood splits.

smokinjay said:
Stihl ms 170 or 180 very light and easy to use

+1

I have two 170 saws. I use 'em FAR more than my 390. With the thin kerf chain, they really perform well. Sharpening them is faster than regular chains since the teeth are so small.

ikessky said:
Tony H said:
What kind of sawzall are you using? My Milwaukee Super Sawzall and a decent blade goes right through hardwood splits.

I have a Dewalt saw and milwaukee blades for wood but remember I am comparing to a 14" homelite chainsaw and the chainsaw seems a bit faster than the sawzall .

I would somewhat argue with the folks that say electrics are safer - They may be slower, but they can do just as much damage, and like the late Mr. Dangerfield, they don't get no respect... This latter makes them more dangerous because folks will do dumb chit that they wouldn't do with a gas saw... Read the docs that come with your PPE some time as well - note that your chaps are NOT rated to work with an electric saw, and remember that as an electric motor gets loaded down, it puts out more torque, cutting through the jamming material in your chaps, instead of slowing the chain and making the clutch slip and the engine stall the way a gas saw does...

Otherwise I'd probably agree with most of the suggestions...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.