Need advice on Heatilator screens.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Socrates

Oct 4, 2022
Houston, TX
We recently brought this home that came with a Heatilator fireplace. We had to do some rennovation in the home, and the stones around the fireplace has been replaced. While the rennovation was going on the contractor did not remove the screen and hence net screen is damaged. But the inside glass remains intact.
Is there a screen available that is not net and is glass? I know there is glass already, but I wanted to add the glass beads inside the fireplace, and replace the fake logs with the diamond burner (its a product, i've seen on the youtube).
I have been thinking if putting a net screen will cover up the fireplace, and the reflective glass wont be visible as it would be visible over a glass creen.
Also, if i can keep the current glass, and if there is a cover for the top and the bottom that can cover up the gaps seen in this pic below.
20221004_185141.jpg

P.s. I am aware of the grout around the fireplace, that will be cleaned up this weekend.

Good news: You should be able to get a replacement screen at your local Heat & Glo/ Heatilator dealer.
Bad news: You can’t SAFELY replace the logs & burner in that unit. It has not been tested with the items you want to put in there. If you decide to go ahead with your project, there’s no guarantee that you won’t endanger everyone in your household.

Good news: You should be able to get a replacement screen at your local Heat & Glo/ Heatilator dealer.
Bad news: You can’t SAFELY replace the logs & burner in that unit. It has not been tested with the items you want to put in there. If you decide to go ahead with your project, there’s no guarantee that you won’t endanger everyone in your household.
Thank you.
Is there a conversion kit for this kind of fireplace, wherein the burner valve can be converted to a universally accepting mechanism?

Thank you.
Is there a conversion kit for this kind of fireplace, wherein the burner valve can be converted to a universally accepting mechanism?
No. These direct vent fireplaces are tested and listed and very few modifications can be done.
Here is a snip from the manual for this fireplace.

Annotation 2022-10-06 024424.png

THanks for your replies. Can i add a kit to enable Smart functionality to the remote.. like the

Durablow SH3002-RH Gas Fireplace WiFi Smart Home Remote Control

Do yourself a favor and call the manufacturer. Amazon is famous for selling stolen IP, poorly thought out, dangerous, cheap garbage that is non UL approved.

These types of devices require you to have the wall switch on and then this takes over. My concern would be if it goes haywire and turns your fireplace on, say, while you are on vacation and you lose insight into what it is doing.

My concerns were immediately validated by the first question on this product:
Hi. i have a sh3002-rh. when i have a power failure, and the power comeback on, the fireplace comes on by itself. it was off when the power went off.

Do yourself a favor and call the manufacturer. Amazon is famous for selling stolen IP, poorly thought out, dangerous, cheap garbage that is non UL approved.

These types of devices require you to have the wall switch on and then this takes over. My concern would be if it goes haywire and turns your fireplace on, say, while you are on vacation and you lose insight into what it is doing.

My concerns were immediately validated by the first question on this product:
Hi. i have a sh3002-rh. when i have a power failure, and the power comeback on, the fireplace comes on by itself. it was off when the power went off.
You are right about this. Better not take a chance with this. I think its better not to automate or smart'o'fy anything related with gas and fire is the best option.