Need advice on how to proceed with remodel.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidRufenacht

Nov 6, 2013
Wyoming
Hello everyone! i am hoping to get a few opinions on how to proceed with my fireplace remodel. I currently have an 80's era Elco wood burning fireplace and was planning to replace it with a modern gas insert. I tore down the brick surround that was built around the insert and found this mess of cinder blocks. It looks like the wood burner is acting as a lintel and supporting everything above it. I'm not sure how best to remove this while still supporting the weight above.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2013-10-29 19.57.41.jpg
    2013-10-29 19.57.41.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 712
  • 2013-10-29 19.58.35.jpg
    2013-10-29 19.58.35.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 702
  • 2013-10-30 08.01.23.jpg
    2013-10-30 08.01.23.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 477
Hmm, wondering if this is a heatform fireplace? If so you might be better off putting a gas insert in the fireplace rather than tearing the fireplace out.

Calling Daksy to the front desk for a gas check.

Wow. Based on the sloppy workmanship, the cmu block not being laid/offset correctly, the vertical block on the end.....it does not appear to have been built by a mason.
Is there a flue liner? How tall is the chimney? Exterior brick? Any signs of cracking, settling, etc? It's also curious that there appears to be remants of old knob & tube wiring in the wood above the fireplace? Is your house that old? But why is it appearing in front of relatively new-looking work? Recycled wood they didn't bother removing knobs from before reuse?
The quality of workmanship there is somewhat worrisome, but it's hard to tell much else from a few pictures. There may be a steel lintel hiding in there.....or not.

I thought about putting the new insert inside the current insert but I don't know how we would connect the venting. the insert would need to be smaller than I prefer.

The house was built in 1920, so the electrical you see was original to the house. I agree that it seems odd to install the blocks behind the framing. It doesn't look like it was removed and replaced, all the wiring travels through the studs. I can only assume that the block behind it was also original. the chimney is about 25 feet from ground level and on its own foundation. There are no large cracks or signs of failure. it looks to have settled straight down about 1/2 inch from its original location based on the position of the original wood siding around it. not sure about the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.