Need advice: securing chimney pipe to chase top collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangerbait

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2016
Shepherdstown, WV
Seeking the best practice here for securing my 8" class A pipe to the chase cover. There's about 1/8th" of space between the collar of the chase cover and the exterior of the pipe, and while I was on the roof this afternoon taking a look at things, I noticed the pipe could easily rock back and forth in the wind. I figured the storm collar would stabilize the pipe, but there's still movement...I plan to get up there within the next couple of days to secure the pipe to the collar, but not entirely sure what's the best way to go about it. Recommendations?

Seeking the best practice here for securing my 8" class A pipe to the chase cover. There's about 1/8th" of space between the collar of the chase cover and the exterior of the pipe, and while I was on the roof this afternoon taking a look at things, I noticed the pipe could easily rock back and forth in the wind. I figured the storm collar would stabilize the pipe, but there's still movement...I plan to get up there within the next couple of days to secure the pipe to the collar, but not entirely sure what's the best way to go about it. Recommendations?
Pull the chase cover and secure it with a support bracket below. The chimney should not be fastened to the flashing

Reactions: Rangerbait