need advise on season time for maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two year old hickory should be your primary cold weather fuel next year.
Soft maple will do well for the shoulder seaon next fall.
One year old locust will burn fine if it has been properly seasoned. Two year old locust will burn even better.
The beautiful thing about locust is that it will never rot and will become a better fuel each year that you store it. (same with the hickory except for the rot part) This is the first year I have any hickory so my knowledge of it is anecdotal.

If it were me, I'd mix the maple with hickory (more maple than hickory) in the early season to stretch out your supply of maple during the winter - perhaps leaving some for the spring. I like having soft maple all through the winter - for example on days when I let the coals get real low and I want a quick hot fire to get the flue hot for the next load (and to help catch the next load). Another option would be to split some of the hickory small to help with warmer days if you run out of maple. Last bit of advice is to work hard this year to get ahead - 2-3 years ahead - it can be a lot of work to do so (or expensive if you are buying - but look into grapple loads), but you'll never regret it and your worries about next's years supply will be gone for good. Good luck! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.