need advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GZOG

Nov 22, 2007
WISCONSIN
Hi I am doing a complete remodel of a 2000 sq foot farmhouse. I would like to run in floor heat I am thinking under the floor in ceiling, first question I have herd a lot of ways, what have people found to work best, and most affordable?
Do I use regular pex or pex with aluminum in it? I am going to use wood to heat the water I do not think I will need a back up boiler because I would have forced air in emergency, and in spring and fall.
I would like to heat the hot water; if the wood boiler runs out will I be heating the boiler with an electric water heater?
And the most difficult question what type of boiler do I use? I would like to keep it outside but could put it in my garage I was looking at an outdoor wood boiler but the price is high and I have herd they use moor wood. Would I be better off using a boiler in my garage? Should I use a storage tank? Can I use my Cistern ?
Just looking at options I have some time.
You all sound very knowledgeable and might be able to get me pointed in the fight direction.
I am also looking for the do not's as well as the do's
Thanks and have a great turkey day!

GZOG said:
Hi I am doing a complete remodel of a 2000 sq foot farmhouse. I would like to run in floor heat I am thinking under the floor in ceiling, first question I have herd a lot of ways, what have people found to work best, and most affordable?
Do I use regular pex or pex with aluminum in it? I am going to use wood to heat the water I do not think I will need a back up boiler because I would have forced air in emergency, and in spring and fall.
I would like to heat the hot water; if the wood boiler runs out will I be heating the boiler with an electric water heater?
And the most difficult question what type of boiler do I use? I would like to keep it outside but could put it in my garage I was looking at an outdoor wood boiler but the price is high and I have herd they use moor wood. Would I be better off using a boiler in my garage? Should I use a storage tank? Can I use my Cistern ?
Just looking at options I have some time.
You all sound very knowledgeable and might be able to get me pointed in the fight direction.
I am also looking for the do not's as well as the do's
Thanks and have a great turkey day!

Your best bet is to post this in the boiler room ;)
Pex makes a specific tubing for radiant floor heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.