Need any propane for the winter? No thanks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onion

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Nov 3, 2009
Ohio
I have a propane furnace, stove and water heater at the house. Got my wood stove 2 years ago. Last year before burning season I checked the propane tank and it was at 50% so I didn't order any for the winter. Just yesterday I realized I hadn't put any in all year and I may need to get 150 gallons (minimum order) just to make sure I didn't pay a mid-winter premium if I ran out as I would need it for cooking and hot water.

Called the propane folks and it is available for the low low price of $3.81/gallon. Checked the tank last night and it is at 30%.

I think I'll make it until spring :). The first winter I lived in the house I burned a full tank and a half (600 gallons) of propane before Jan. 1 (when the woodstove was installed). I haven't put more 'pane in it since. This means full payback of the woodstove install was achieved sometime mid-winter last year. Add in the saw and various other toys, I mean tools, some wood I've bought and the gas to run it all and that should payback this winter easy. Heck, I could buy a splitter this winter and still be ahead.

LOVE IT!

This November will be 2 yrs and still got about 50%. Only uss LP fod cooking needs now. Used to go through 3-4 tanks a yr. The tables have turned. I thought originally I could make it 2 yrs without a fill. Looks more like 3-4 yrs before a fill. This is the 1st year with the woodstove. Thd last couple yrs have been with the pellet stove only. So it may be longer than that.

Cheers to telling the Gas man he can go Gouge someone else. Gotta love heating your home cheaper and keeping it a lot warmer.

Lol on suburban. That's who we have here in vermont and they are more expensive than most of the others. Hoping I can say as much with savings with my new fireview this year as well.

onion said:
jeff_t said:
$3.81 :bug:. Must be Suburban?

Bingo

That's pretty sad. I only know Suburban by reputation. My gas man is here right now, says $2.24. Actually he's not delivering, he's one of our very good friends.

That's cheap. It's $4/gal here, and that isn't a bad price. Last year it was just under $5/gal.

NATE379 said:
That's cheap. It's $4/gal here, and that isn't a bad price. Last year it was just under $5/gal.

Almost 1/2 the calorific value than oil and more expensive. Love it. Only worth it for the BBQ.

Yup. Don't know of anyone that uses it for heat. Either natural gas if the line run out your land or fuel oil... well and then wood/pellets/coal.

I don't know how propane computes pounds per gallon, but I buy it by the pound. I only need it to run my cook stove and fridge at my remote cabin (no electric, 'cept my little generator that I don't run often).

I pay $168 for a full 100 pound cylinder. Someone do the math to get how many gallons that is....and how bad I am getting screwed in the Arctic.

Frostbit said:
I don't know how propane computes pounds per gallon, but I buy it by the pound. I only need it to run my cook stove and fridge at my remote cabin (no electric, 'cept my little generator that I don't run often).

I pay $168 for a full 100 pound cylinder. Someone do the math to get how many gallons that is....and how bad I am getting screwed in the Arctic.

I think propane is about 4.3 lbs/gallon so you are paying around $7/gallon.

I would really like to get rid of the gas powered water heater but it is about the only thing that the previous owner had replaced before I bought the house. It is only 3 years old. I will be replacing the stove when I reno the kitchen this year but I am going to stick with gas. The HVAC will be replaced with a heat pump when the AC dies.

I am still debating this one.

I switched to wood last year.
My pig had 7 percent in it when I started burning wood.
I heated soly with wood and did not get propane the rest of the year which is awesome since I would get 4-5 tanks a year at 4-500 a tank

I have 3 percent now so I am tempted to get none but then I have to worry about trips in Dec if I am away from the house.

LP guy just came today...$2.42/gal., I know that's cheaper than most, but that is or should I say was my only source of heat, til the insert. Now it's only supplemental and will probably get me thru the winter w/o a refill.

FPX Dude said:
LP guy just came today...$2.42/gal., I know that's cheaper than most, but that is or should I say was my only source of heat, til the insert. Now it's only supplemental and will probably get me thru the winter w/o a refill.

My rate was based on Amerigas owning the 500 gallon underground tank.We bought the tank and the price dropped about $1 a gallon and we can buy from anyone now.

onion said:
I would really like to get rid of the gas powered water heater but it is about the only thing that the previous owner had replaced before I bought the house. It is only 3 years old.

Get that thing out of there. An efficient electric water heater will pay itself out in a heartbeat at those prices.

I actually have a propane hot water heater . . . which I like . . . since we only use propane for cooking and the hot water heater and buy propane three or four times a year I can live with it . . . especially since I like the fact there is little maintenance and we have never yet run out of hot water. I cannot say the same for the oil boiler add-on or the electic hot water heater we had growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.