Need catalyst...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvto2

Nov 14, 2011
Northern CT
I need a new catalyst for my con dutchwest FA288. I think the year is around 1992 or 1993. The year code is 1210. I found a cheap price at stovecombustors.com. anyone know about these combusters or have others to recommend?

It looks to be the "clear skies" model of catalyst, which is like a very porous sponge, as opposed to the honey comb. If you search around for "clear skies" you might some people who have tried it. Other options include the typical ceramic honey comb style and the steel kind. I've tried both. The ceramic ones are prone to cracking from thermal shock if you have less than optimally dry wood. I liked the steel one better since it lights off at a lower temperature, but they are more expensive and the expansion and contraction of the metal will eventually lead to the coating falling off. At least the ones your looking at on stovecombustors.com are reasonably priced.

If you do try one, report back. I'm sure some here would be curious to know what you think.

So I am rethinking whether I need a new catalyst. My stove is 20 years old, but I burned coal for about five yeas, let the stove sit, and have only burned wood the last 2. I fired it up the other night and the catalyst probe got up to 1000 degrees? Doesn't that seem to indicate it is working?

If the temperature is getting that high, it would seem it's lighting off. If you look around here, you can find procedures to clean the catalyst in a vinegar solution, which may increase performance. It should be removed periodically anyway and gently brushed (don't blow it out with compressed air) to remove soot and fine particles.

Status
Not open for further replies.