Need Earth stove help - trying to help someone from afar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heat seeker

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2011
Northern CT
A friend of mine, who lives about an hour away from me, is having trouble with his Earth stove. I don't know which model, but it's a positive pressure unit.

It has run well for some years, and they keep it quite clean.
Problem is that during the night, it stops running. The burn pot is empty, as if it stopped feeding pellets. It doesn't have low/high, just an analog control. It starts right up the next morning (manual lighting).

I'm trying to figure out if the auger motor is bad, or the cup motor is bad, or ? I would appreciate some information on how the cup works. I understand the double auger system of the Englanders or Harmans, but how does a cup system work?

It's vented into a lined brick chimney, but has run well for years now. The chimney is clear, the stove is clean, nothing has been changed, like the draft, etc. Could this be caused by the pellets?

Fixing from afar is a bear, as we all know, so I'd appreciate any suggestions you have. I suspect either the auger motor or the cup motor, but don't know how to pin it down.
TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.