Need feedback on these two pellet stoves please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simplicity2012

Feb 23, 2015
Vermont
Hello all!

Since i've been reading through this site to educate myself on pellet stoves for the last month i figured i would finally sign up and join the forum. I have done much research on the types of stoves that My wife and I would like in our house and have narrowed it down to two from England stove works. I would also like to say I highly respect Mike for devoting much of his time here on this site to answer people's questions about the stoves they produce/ refurb.

Anyways The two stoves i would like to choose from are the Timber ridge 55-TRPEP and multi fuel 49-TRCPM
what i am looking for is anybody who owns either of these stoves to please let me know what you like or don't like about them, including performance, heat output, and how much pellets you go through a day typically.

To give you an idea of my layout, classic two story cape, small at only 1,100sq feet. well insulated with double pane windows. I believe either of these stoves is more than enough to keep us comfortable.

To be clear I realize the huge difference between the two is the trpep is only capable of burning wood pellets haha, but i just really would like to go with englander as their reputation appears better than most brands that are twice the price.

Just so you know and I'm sure you read this, but Englander's are a hands on stove. If you are good with that, you'll be happy.

Just so you know and I'm sure you read this, but Englander's are a hands on stove. If you are good with that, you'll be happy.
Haven't had my hands on the stove in over 2.5 tons this winter! In fact it hasn't been shut down in almost a week! My Englander is like a litter box, if you don't scoop it regularly, you end up with a mess.

Reactions: Peterfield
Haha yes thank you I don't mind getting my hands dirty. Both the stoves I have in mind seem to be newer designs and havent found much reviews on them. One auger designs instead of two augers like all older moldels.

Multi-fuel stove is nice if you have access to fuel other than pellets.

I have the 25EP. I would not buy another. My little 25pdvc puts out more heat. In my case, after 3 years with this stove, it has never used more than 2/3 of a full hopper. Nothing I have done to the hopper will allow the remaining pellets to drop. I am on my 4th convection motor, and my 2nd combustion motor. The fake logs and fake brick backer lasted a year. The ash pan is too small and ashes dump on the floor when you open the door. It's also a pain to clean. I would much rather have a PDV.

No laughing here. The PDV is also the 55-TRP22T. It is the older design two auger.

Yes how silly I just got done looking it up. Its crazy some people say the newer sigle auger system is better and others say the older design is the way to go. Its hard making a decision when no matter what I buy its going to be over a thousand dollar investment

I had a 25-ep for a little while. It puts out tremendous heat, but it does get very dirty, very quickly.

I bought a Harman p-43 and I love it, simply because I don't have to clean it every day, but it is $2000 more than I paid for the 25ep.

I can say the customer service is great as I had a minor issue which was resolved very quickly.

My father now has the 25-ep and he absolutely loves it. He is retired so it gets a 5-10 minute cleaning every morning. He has been burning it now for a few months with no issues.

I would buy again.

Edit: the stove heated my similar sized house no problem on a bag a day with thermostat and heats my father's 30'x 30' garage the 8-16 hours a day he is out there on slightly less with no thermostat.

I did the same thing, hung around for a month for research and pulled the trigger on an Englander. I visited all the stove shops around me. First place I stopped had Harmons, they are nice and quiet and seem to be well made. Members here love em'. When he told me $3000 I almost fell over. My Weil Mclain %95 boiler was $2200. And it has a 15 yr warranty on exchanger.... Wife would rather Pre-Pay for 2.5 yrs of Propain then see a Harmon sitting in the living room. I found mine at Lowes on-line ( Timber Ridge box ) for $916 on sale, brandy new. I had been buying pellets for weeks, grabbing 2 of every brand I could find.

I do HVAC for a living, so Im not afraid of hands-on, or repair work with my stove. Just mull through the last 2 months of Englander posts and you'll see the overwhelming support from Members and ESW themselves are on here.

There is truth to the pellet hype, some burn hotter than others, and some have more fines than others. I dont care about ash, Im burning a solid fuel- its inevitable...

Also, not splitting and stacking wood is a huge bonus for the Wife and Me, been there- done that..

Reactions: Jason845845
Thank you for your replies madmax and jason. Very helpful info. Also yes I am looking at amfm energy. Best prices I can find so far.

I bought mine from amfm, great experience, the "blemish" was a weld on the pedestal that i couldn't find until mike from raw told me it was there.

Thanks guys for your help. My wife really likes the looks of the 25-ep so I may be getting that from am fm. I just hope it holds. Up. Many mixed Reviews from what I've read. Dont mind cleaning but I dont want to replace motors every season like some have

Status
Not open for further replies.