What Size Pellet Stove Do I Need

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

danrclem

Jul 23, 2008
KY.
Long time wood stove user here. I'm 69 years old so depending on my health, I don't know how much longer I can keep cutting and splitting wood. I think I'm going to buy a pellet stove before the end of the year because of the tax credits. I'm reading two different things on the tax credits. One of them says 22% and another says 30%. Does anyone know which one it actually is?

I live just below Louisville, Ky. where temps don't go into single digits very often but through the years we've had temps well below 0 but that doesn't hardly ever happen. My house is fairly well insulated.

My house is 1,300 sq. ft. with a full basement. My wood stove is in the basement and I use it to heat the basement and the upstairs. We spend a lot of time in the basement family room. I'm used to the upstairs being cooler than the basement. The upstairs doors are all usually open with the exception of a small bedroom. About 650 sq. ft. of the basement is open and being heated so all total I'm heating a little less than 2,000 sq. ft. I'll probably go bigger than what is needed just to make sure that I have enough heat. I know it depends on the individual unit but would a stove rated for 2,800 sq. ft. work for me or would it be too much?

So what do you all think.

Go bigger than you think you need it is easier to turn
the temp down on a stove than to pull more heat when
the stove is maxed out

Reactions: danrclem
Everything Johneh said…I’m partial to Harman, I find it easy to clean and maintain…I have a Harman P61a and it heats a 1500sq ft mobile home it -40c/f without issue

Everything Johneh said…I’m partial to Harman, I find it easy to clean and maintain…I have a Harman P61a and it heats a 1500sq ft mobile home it -40c/f without issue

If your P61a heats your place well, then I'm guessing that I don't need one that big since I'm a lot farther south than you are.

I have checked out the Harman and have found that they're pretty expensive but people here seem to love them. I was looking at the P43 and it's rated at 17,200 to 43,500 BTUs. It also says it'll heat a home that is from 800 to 2,400 sq. ft. so it should heat my house but sometimes specs are different from real world situations.

I'm also looking at a ComfortBilt HP22 that is a little less than half the price of the Harman P43. The HP22 has a BTU output of 41,000 so it's a little less than the Harman.

I think the ComfortBilt needs to be cleaned ever couple days with a vac. How long can the Harman go without cleaning?

Thank you both for your replies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Washed-Up
If you are looking at the Harman P43 and the Comfortbilt HP 22
then a look at the 45tuousand BTU Enviro Meridian might be worth a look
I am inclined towards enviro stoves and have 2 one in the house and a heat beast in the shop

If you are looking at the Harman P43 and the Comfortbilt HP 22
then a look at the 45tuousand BTU Enviro Meridian might be worth a look
I am inclined towards enviro stoves and have 2 one in the house and a heat beast in the shop

Thank you and I will check it out. What would make you want one of them over the two models that I mentioned? I need to get all the information that I can before I make a decision.

Any other recommendations are welcome.

The stove I use in the house is an Enviro ef3 this year is its 22 heating season.
The only repair needed was a combustion fan 4 years ago just routine and annual
cleaning, 4 tons of pellets a year. The shop stove is an Enviro Maxx and this year is its
15th heating season no faults or parts replaced just cleaning and weekly maintenance
this stove uses 5 tons of pellets The stoves are the best investment in heating I have ever made
For years I serviced Harman, Envrio,Pelpro, Hudson,and Englander stoves and always liked the Envrio
My best advice is buy the stove your Better Half likes

The stove I use in the house is an Enviro ef3 this year is its 22 heating season.
The only repair needed was a combustion fan 4 years ago just routine and annual
cleaning, 4 tons of pellets a year. The shop stove is an Enviro Maxx and this year is its
15th heating season no faults or parts replaced just cleaning and weekly maintenance
this stove uses 5 tons of pellets The stoves are the best investment in heating I have ever made
For years I serviced Harman, Envrio,Pelpro, Hudson,and Englander stoves and always liked the Envrio
My best advice is buy the stove your Better Half likes

Thank you for the reply. I was only able to find one price on the Enviro Meridian and it was $5,975, USA. That puts it way over my budget because buying a Harman would've been more that I really wanted to spend.

How would you rate the other stoves that you serviced. I can buy a Pelpro for not much over $1,000 but I know from experience that cheap isn't always the way to go. I think I read that they do have a 5 year warranty.

I found a used Harmon P61a with an extended hopper and a basic exhaust kit for $1,800. It looks like it's in pretty decent shape and is about 120 miles from me. That's a lot of money to take a chance on so I'm not sure about it.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I’ve bought and refurbished a few P61A stoves and that’s a decent price, not saying it’s better than any other stove, just that they are easy to maintain and put out amazing heat

In my tiny mind you get what you pay for
for long-trouble-free service buy a top-of-the-line North American Built Stove
few people with those stoves regret buying them