1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Need for Check Valve???

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by penfrydd, Jan 29, 2011.

1. penfrydd

penfrydd New Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    Tarm install with thermal storage and backup oil is almost complete. I have only one large zone. Question: Shouldn't there be something to prevent return water that I'd like to go to the wood loop from going to the return of the oil system as well? It would seem that there can't be a check valve, as that would prevent the oil loop from functioning when that's called for. Will the water simply follow the path of least resistance, or will I be keeping my oil boiler hot with water from the Tarm?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. penfrydd

penfrydd New Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    It's possible that I've come up with the answer to my own question...My oil boiler system has it's circ on the return line. If that circ is not operating, the resistance offered by it, I think, should shunt the water back to the Tarm. Is my thing correct?