need guidance for wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh2121

Jan 17, 2015
Canada
Hey there. First off thanks for stopping in. I plan to buy a wood stove to heat 2200 sq Ft upon 3 floors. The first floor being the basement with no insulation on the walls. I'm looking for suggestions, I'll spend what ever it'll cost but cost effective stoves would be appreciated . I was suggested by a salesman of the regency 3100, thoughts? thanks

Do you plan to heat from the basement? This could be a chore as the uninsulated walls would soak up the heat like a sponge.

Do you have a chimney already? Can you describe it if so? Length, location, diameter.

Last edited:
is the stove going in basement if it is it's going to be hard to heat the hole house .a lot of your heat will go out the basement walls insulation is your best friend .I have seen the difference in being able to heat with and without insulation i also need to practice my typing speed always get beatin to the punch:rolleyes:

The stove is basically an area heater. A furnace might do a better job if there is already ductwork in the house. About 1/3 of the heat produced by the stove will be sucked out the uninsulated walls. That means pushing a stove hard to heat even 2 floors in a cold climate. It also means burning 3 cords and instead of 2 for the same heat if the space was insulated. You get the picture I'm sure. The other issues you may run into is difficulty in getting the heat to convect well upstairs. And there is a possibility of the basement being a negative pressure zone. This will be especially likely if the upper floors are leaking a lot of heat through unsealed framing openings like window casements etc.. and/or competition in the basement from gas hw heater, dryer, exhaust fans, etc.. All things to think about.

The Regency is a fine tube stove. So are the Osburn 2400, Drolet HT2000, Enerzone 3.4, and Englander 30NC. The PE Summit doesn't have tubes but is also a good 3 cu ft stove.

Thank you all for the quick feed back. I have a chimney in the house . its located in the center of the house moreless . I'll include photos tomorrow ( I have my pellet stove hooked up to it now ) I'd say the chimney is 30' ft approximately So from the feed back what I gather it'll be best to insulate my basement. Would rigid foam do the trick and what r value should I be aiming for ?

hey josh,i bought a j.a roby it's a big stove the thing it has are two outlet's to hook up piping to run to first floor might help with the heating upstairs 4 cubic ft box so you don't have to keep loading wood

are you getting rid of pellet stove ? keep it if you can every bit helps.haven't tried heating from basement but from what i've read on forum hard to get heat upstairs

I'd at least consider leaving the pellet stove in the basement with a reroute of the exhaust if necessary. Then if possible, tap into the chimney and install a nice stove on the first floor where the heat is needed and the fire view can be enjoyed.

Reactions: countybrown
I'd at least consider leaving the pellet stove in the basement with a reroute of the exhaust if necessary. Then if possible, tap into the chimney and install a nice stove on the first floor where the heat is needed and the fire view can be enjoyed.

This is what a friend did. He found a great deal on a pellet stove and just uses it to keep his basement around 50*F. Most important to him is keeping the pipes from freezing.

This is what a friend did. He found a great deal on a pellet stove and just uses it to keep his basement around 50*F. Most important to him is keeping the pipes from freezing.
yah that was my concern as well. It was 6 degress in my basement prior to the pellet stove

It's not a common brand. You would have better luck locating a Drolet Tundra for a wood furnace.

It's not a common brand. You would have better luck locating a Drolet Tundra for a wood furnace.
what intrigued me about it was the price. The tundra for me would run me 2100 + tax. I just bought the house I'm living in last June , so I'm trying to save money where I can

Wow, they were selling for about $1300 in the midwest at Menards during the clear out sale.

Keep your eye out for end of winter clearance sales at the end of your winter season. Won't be long now.

I bought mine at bmr at begining of season on special like bg said they will have spring specials on soon they don't keep them in store to big and independents don't carry it it looks pretty ugly in pictures in person looks good have no complaints about it does the job quite well

Status
Not open for further replies.