Need help aging a VC Resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwburn

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Connecticut
Hello All,
I picked up an older Vermont Castings Resolute (not Acclaim) today and was wondering if you could help me figure out a year range of when it was probably made.
I can post a pic eventually if needed but guessing it won't be necessary. All the labels are on the back but can't find a year of manufacture.
Clues:
Color - blue (nicely chipped on top, lol)
Doors - dual doors which open from the middle like my Intrepid II, windows in upper halfs only
I think anything else I say would apply to all Resolutes but if there are any other things I can look for to help ID it let me know.

Also, anyone know if you can still purchase a replacement door(about 2"x3") that covers the thermostatically controlled air inlet on the back of the stove? I had the stove laying on its back for tranport and the little piece of metal that the chain going to the air control level broke off. If necessary I'll need to make something myself.

MODEL #0042 & 0043 RESOLUTE III

Produced June 1983 to June 1988. Double front doors. 2 Piece fireback. 1985 double glass was added.

kwburn said:
Hello All,
I picked up an older Vermont Castings Resolute (not Acclaim) today and was wondering if you could help me figure out a year range of when it was probably made.
I can post a pic eventually if needed but guessing it won't be necessary. All the labels are on the back but can't find a year of manufacture.
Clues:
Color - blue (nicely chipped on top, lol)
Doors - dual doors which open from the middle like my Intrepid II, windows in upper halfs only
I think anything else I say would apply to all Resolutes but if there are any other things I can look for to help ID it let me know.

Also, anyone know if you can still purchase a replacement door(about 2"x3") that covers the thermostatically controlled air inlet on the back of the stove? I had the stove laying on its back for tranport and the little piece of metal that the chain going to the air control level broke off. If necessary I'll need to make something myself.

One of the advertisers here is Discount Stove Parts, they may have parts for that stove.

Gooserider

Parts should be available - try woodmans or black swan stove (google them or on our parts or products page).

Elk is correct - a Res with two doors is the Res III and was the latest model before the Acclaim. Other than the doors and the option of double glass, it is virtually identical in operation to the first Resi. The change was made (my guess) because too many folks dropped the old big single door, which was hinged at the bottom, and they broke the casting nubs or door. Two small doors eliminated this.

thanks everyone for the info. i'll try those two places for parts and see how i make out.

i emailed Discount Stove for prices on the parts which they do show listed on their site. hopefully they are actually available.

they even show the top and flue collar available in blue (both heavily chipped)
how difficult would it be to remove the top?

so much for that. discount stove no longer has any of the parts.
i just went through and emailed every authorized VC parts dealer listed on the VC's website.
maybe i'll get lucky. if not, i'll need to fabricate my own replacement door for that air inlet.

and here i got excited thinking i could possibly get a new top for it!

Email me your parts list and I will see what I can do, Gaskets are not a problem, VC is actually trying only to support stoves in the 90's

It will be a lot harder restoring older stoves. Remember your stove could be older than 20 years Do you know of one other stove manufacturer that supports stoves over 20 years.

Don't bother looking there are none

Here is the problem the blue that you have is a discontinued color the past 10 years. Also the forest green had been discontinued Since 1999.

Unfortunately very few dealers rebuild stoves and the ones that do are probably working on stoves 10 old or newer. Naturally the manufacturer and the dealer,
would rather sell you a new stove. This is not just a VC issue because they are the best at parts support many of the parts 10 years ago are the same mold as today..

however they are makijng new model everburn stoves that are different than the fefractory cement joint one of years past now all everburn stoves are gasket joints and using different parts than prior models.

My advice if looking into older stoves if you can live with the enamal condition you are ok If you need enamal parts from refractory sealed stoves they are making fewer and fewer.
It might be prudent to target the painted black stoves as they do not need enamaling and better chance parts can be gotten.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. I probably emailed 15 stores listed as carrying VC replacement parts and Olde Hadleigh Hearth & Patio (easily found with a web search) in Mass was the only one that could come up with the air flap on the back of the stove after taking the time to dig it up. They treated the sale of a $5 item as if it were much more and they charged me less for shipping than I know it probably cost them.

Status
Not open for further replies.