Need help choosing stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Baylog

Sep 17, 2013
Well I’ve finally reached the point of info overload and need a little help pushing me over the edge.
I want to replace my old Alaska stoker 1 (32000 btu) coal stove with a pellet unit, I planned on purchasing a unit (refurbished / Blem) FROM AM /FM Energy as Timberidge seems to be a good entry level unit.
I plan on installing in the basement, existing terracotta chimney 6” semi finished, insulated walls and ring none in ceiling, in hopes it would heat that space and make its way upstairs. Register above unit to living room ,modified cape w/ loft 2000sqft. Don’t see it heating the whole house, (maybe I’m ill-informed) but would supplement my existing hot water oil and wood burning stove (Travis Fireplace Xtrordinare used weekends and cold nights to much heat on nights above 25deg)
It seems to me all the Timberidge units pretty much max out at about 40,000 BTU but have varying options circ.fan cfm, hopper capacity, ash drawer, thermostat compatible, looks ect…. Am I correct? Do all these units us the same heat exchanger? Is any one more efficient ?
To be honest I like the look of the New TRPIP but can’t find a review as to how it performs
My other thought was to consider the multi fuel unit TRPCPM not because I plan on burning corn, but the components might be more heavy duty
Or just go with the old reliable the TRP22
Any thoughts, help, experiences would be appreciated I’m stuck

The EP-25 has tube type heat exchangers. IMHO it should transfer a bit more heat into the room. I wouldn't worry with the new models, The CS is tops and they will get ya fixed up should something arise!

The EP-25 has tube type heat exchangers. IMHO it should transfer a bit more heat into the room. I wouldn't worry with the new models, The CS is tops and they will get ya fixed up should something arise!

Thanks for the input,
Unfortunately AM/FM does not have the EP-25 available as a refurbished unit at this time (according to their website).
Good to know they have tube heat exchangers though, I guess the other models use some sort of metal plate.
Have heard nothing but good things about the CS with Englander unlike some other manufactures.
That's one of the main reasons I thought they would be the way to go.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.