Need Help Choosing the Right Filter for My 3M Respirator.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
Hello all! I have a 3M 6000 series respirator that I need help choosing a filter for. I'm having a hard time decoding the NIOSH and OSHA jargon. What I want is:

1. Lead, Mold, dust (P100)
2. Disenfectants (Chlorine/Ammonia Based)
3. Paint Vapors (VOC's in oil based paint give me problems)

My research has found the following:
1. http://www.gemplers.com/product/G60926/3M-P100-Multi-gas-Vapor-Cartridges-pair
This one protects against particulates and Disenfectants, but not organic vapors like paint spray.

2. http://www.gemplers.com/product/G60921/3M-P100-Filter-Cartridges-Pesticide-Organic-Vapor-One-Pair
This one protects against particulates and organic vapors like paint spray, but not ammonia or chlorine disenfectants.

Is there one that does particulates, ammonia/chlorine gases, and organic vapors from paint?

The G60926 should do the trick. The P100 is for fine particulates (eg. lead dust, mold, etc.) and the organic cartridge should deal with the rest. The reason I believe that is states that the filters do not protect against paint spray is because the paint spray will produce oil-based particles/mist that might clog/interfere with the filter mediums. So if you are applying paint via a brush, you should not have a problem.

I am not sure of that model but the 3M's I used to use could be set up for a HEPA prefilter to deal with the paint fumes. It required a special adaptor.

using a non-Cl cartridge in a Cl environment will chew it apart really fast! maybe 15 min, thats why they sometimes will annotate them as "escape"

Depends on what you are talking about using it for. If you are using it at home, I would use the bottom, if you are repainting your car, I wouldnt.

HEPA is nearly mandatory, I wouldnt buy anything without it as most of my concerns are dust (around the house stuff).

find a local safety supply
they make cartridges you can "stack"
and some combo purple yellow etc

BurnIt13 said:
Hello all! I have a 3M 6000 series respirator that I need help choosing a filter for. I'm having a hard time decoding the NIOSH and OSHA jargon. What I want is:

1. Lead, Mold, dust (P100)
2. Disenfectants (Chlorine/Ammonia Based)
3. Paint Vapors (VOC's in oil based paint give me problems)

My research has found the following:
1. http://www.gemplers.com/product/G60926/3M-P100-Multi-gas-Vapor-Cartridges-pair
This one protects against particulates and Disenfectants, but not organic vapors like paint spray.

2. http://www.gemplers.com/product/G60921/3M-P100-Filter-Cartridges-Pesticide-Organic-Vapor-One-Pair
This one protects against particulates and organic vapors like paint spray, but not ammonia or chlorine disenfectants.

Is there one that does particulates, ammonia/chlorine gases, and organic vapors from paint?

I am assuming this is for personal use at home. If this is for work, your employer is required to provide you with the proper respiratory protection.

I do not believe you will not find one cartridge to do all of those things at once. That being said, I doubt you will be doing all of these things at once. I also doubt you will be exceeding permissible exposure limits. Kind of seems like a bathroom demo/rebuild so I would go with the 60926 until you start painting then get an organic vapor cartridge for paint. Paint spraying is more difficult as you will likely blank the cartridge with the overspray. Open a window and use a fan to pull clean air into the work area.

Also, mixing chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite) with an ammonia disinfectant releases free Cl2 (chlorine gas). This is extraordinarily bad and will kill you just like it did soldiers in the trenches in WWI.

peakbagger said:
I am not sure of that model but the 3M's I used to use could be set up for a HEPA prefilter to deal with the paint fumes. It required a special adaptor.

The P100s are HEPA filters. Also P100/HEPAs do not protect against paint vapours. The carbon media in these combo filters deal with organics (eg. paint VOCs).

Status
Not open for further replies.