need help clarifying wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
Ash?

Attachments

• 20140216_092049.jpg
    20140216_092049.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 150
I would concur, ash. Looks a bit different down in those Southern parts.
--From Ohio.

I'm still trying to get acquainted with different woods. I've always burned oak when I had a fireplace. How do you distinguish ash from hickory?

Well shag bark is easy (right?) Bitter or smooth-bark hickory in my experience (Ohio) has shallower grooves than the ash on the bark. Also, hickory almost always has a dark/red center compared to ash which is very light all the way through. Lastly, if there's any sap involved, the hickory will smell AWESOME, especially once it gets heated up (sometimes even just from sawing with less-than razor sharp chain).

Well shag bark is easy (right?) Bitter or smooth-bark hickory in my experience (Ohio) has shallower grooves than the ash on the bark. Also, hickory almost always has a dark/red center compared to ash which is very light all the way through. Lastly, if there's any sap involved, the hickory will smell AWESOME, especially once it gets heated up (sometimes even just from sawing with less-than razor sharp chain).

Yea shagbark I would know.thanks for the description, that helps a lot

Yes that is Ash as this fella said. Good stuff and it is one of the fastest drying woods because it doesn't have a whole ton of water in it when it is alive. Hickory also will be heavier than Ash when dry, if that helps. Both great fuelwoods.....

Yes that is Ash as this fella said. Good stuff and it is one of the fastest drying woods because it doesn't have a whole ton of water in it when it is alive. Hickory also will be heavier than Ash when dry, if that helps. Both great fuelwoods.....

I believe it! I split a few blocks yesterday and it's already reading less than almost 1 year old oak. It's around 30%

Depending on where you are, you can probably find standing dead ash trees from the emerald ash borer. Trees like that will be nearly ready to burn when you cut 'em down.

Status
Not open for further replies.