Need help finding a wood buring stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LONDONDERRY

Hearth Supporter
May 23, 2008
New Hampshire
Greetings-

As suggested by the moderator to start a new thread here is goes.
I live in Southern NH in a split level ranch. We want to heat a 1000 square foot house. living space is basic kitchen, living room 1 bathroom and 3 bedrooms hallway
My fire place dims are as followed
Fireplace width 37.5 inches
fireplace height 26.25inches
Height of Lintel bar 26.25inches
Fireplace depth: 20 inches
Width of back 24.25inches
Hearth depth 16 inches Hearth Height 10.25 in
Height to taper 13.5 in

So if anyone can pair these dimens up to a wood stove, I be forever grateful

Thanks
Frank

Excellent info Frank. With the 26" height, this definitely sounds like a rear-exit stove or an insert will be required. Many cast iron stoves are rear exit so that is one place to start. Some have short leg kits that will lower the height by a few inches. Or you could install a new insert like the Englander 13-NCI for about $1000 + liner.

Other products to consider might be a Drolet or a Napoleon insert. In cast iron perhaps the Jotul F3CB, Morso 2110.

I would suggest an insert for that fireplace. I don't think you will find a free standing stove that fits it that also has a blower available. And you will need the blower to get the hot air out of the fireplace and into the room.

I've seen the inserts and unless they are as affordable as a free standing stove forget it. I've priced used and new ones out and they are expensive and plus from every person that I've talked to at a stove shop they throw out less radiant heat. Which makes sense because less surface area is being exposed to the area I'll be heating

Cheers
Frank

I paid $2,100.00 for my Summit.
Cost to heat with wood this past & extended winter.....$300.00
Cost of filling a 250 gallon oil tank at what is it $4.50 a gallon?
At these oil prices, the insert with new liner practically paid for itself in a year.
Theres a saying, you have to spend money to make money.
I'd like to revamp that to:
You sometimes have to spend money to save money. ;)

I happen to love my insert. Might not throw off the heat a freestander does. But with the blower on, it heats 2400sf no problemo.
And theres plenty of heat radiating off the front & through the glass.

I've never owned a woodburning insert, only freestanding stoves, but I have no particular bias in either direction. I'd suggest that a part of your decision might rest on what you want the final installation to look like in your room. If a freestanding stove would require a new hearth or a hearth extension, are you OK with that? An insert's effectiveness at heating will probably drop more dramatically in case of a power outage, are you OK with that? Lots of things to consider, but heating with wood either way is a gratifying pursuit in my experience. Have fun with the decision process and the shopping, the possibilities are myriad, as are the resources on this website. Rick

BeGreen said:
Excellent info Frank. With the 26" height, this definitely sounds like a rear-exit stove or an insert will be required. Many cast iron stoves are rear exit so that is one place to start. Some have short leg kits that will lower the height by a few inches. Or you could install a new insert like the Englander 13-NCI for about $1000 + liner.

Other products to consider might be a Drolet or a Napoleon insert. In cast iron perhaps the Jotul F3CB, Morso 2110.

Frank, BG gave some great advice. You were in the $800+ range, looking at an old pre-epa reconditioned stove, for a couple more bens, you could have a new, epa cert stove that will perform well. Keep in mind though, you will have costs for your stack, but that will happen no matter what stove you decide on.

Ultimately a new insert will use much less wood to heat better than the old Warner. True, about the radiant heat, but it's not going to be as big a difference as one might think. You have a small place, this will work. Also, installing a freestanding stove will likely require the added expense to extend the hearth.

The budget is slim and we're trying to help you get the best bang for your buck. It's a decent insert at a great price and will do the job. The blower will be appreciated in a ranch. At only $100 more than the old Warner, it isn't even a close call. However, if you are willing to be patient for a nice, small used Jotul or the like and in the meantime extend the hearth, that's fine too. However, this Englander insert may still have longer burn times. The price I was quoting was from acehardwareoutlet.com, $999. There may be better prices than this.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/13-nci.html

Yeah the radiant heat advantage of a free standing stove goes away when you put it into a fireplace anyway. Three sides of the stove are radiating into the walls of the fireplace, not into the room. I know of whence I speak. My free stander is half in and half out of the fireplace. Radiant heat travels in a straight line. No curves or right and left turns.

In heavier heating times the blower on the stove moves more heat out into the room. Just like an insert.

I have a med size wood insert ( heats 1200-2000 sqft) and it heats both floors of my 1500 sqft colonial very well.Without the blower going full blast the main floor gets to upper 70s and the 2nd floor rooms mid 70s.I think a wood insert looks better than a free standing and by getting the type that sticks out of the fireplace and blocking off the bottom fireplace damper area it should easily get the job done.I wont lie and say these stoves are cheap!but it will pay for itself soon after by not heating the house with your reg furnace.

BeGreen said:
Ultimately a new insert will use much less wood to heat better than the old Warner. True, about the radiant heat, but it's not going to be as big a difference as one might think. You have a small place, this will work. Also, installing a freestanding stove will likely require the added expense to extend the hearth.

The budget is slim and we're trying to help you get the best bang for your buck. It's a decent insert at a great price and will do the job. The blower will be appreciated in a ranch. At only $100 more than the old Warner, it isn't even a close call. However, if you are willing to be patient for a nice, small used Jotul or the like and in the meantime extend the hearth, that's fine too. However, this Englander insert may still have longer burn times. The price I was quoting was from acehardwareoutlet.com, $999. There may be better prices than this.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/13-nci.html

WOW great price for a stove insert. I'm going to seriously look at it. The hearth looks the same as the one I have

So now another question
I assume its better to get the wood now and split ans stack it and then look around for a stove during the summer months is this logical thinking?

So I'm thinking of this stove. Napoleon EPA Wood Burning Fireplace Insert - EPI-1401 What do you guys think? All so I want to see it at a stove shop, but would anyone recommend buying this online or should I just buy it at a store?

LONDONDERRY said:
So now another question
I assume its better to get the wood now and split ans stack it and then look around for a stove during the summer months is this logical thinking?

Not only logical thinking, but you are getting into "crunch" time. Get your wood asap and get-er split and stacked in a nice sunny, and windy spot. Hurry, times a-wastin'.

The Napoleon is a good insert too, a bit more expensive and they put the blower in the back which makes it harder to clean and service. But the stove can put out the heat and they have some dressier surround options.

It's less likely that the Englander insert will be found at this time of year in a local store, but you never know. Call around and ask. You may get a great price ordering it locally.

Who will be installing the stove? If you plan on doing it yourself I think you will find Englander has good support. And one of their tech's frequently hangs out here on this forum. They make a stout stove and stand behind their product.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/Dealers/nh.html

I did alittle comparing of the Napoleon vs the Englander and they both seem like nice inserts.I would lean alittle more toward the napolean because of its larger firebox 2.25 cu vs 1.8!To me 1.8cu seems alittle small!but i guess im spoiled with my 2.6cu Harman.

Status
Not open for further replies.