need help i think

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harvdog31

Hearth Supporter
Dec 3, 2010
virginia
Im a newb and had a question concerning how my wood boiler just got hooked up to my existing oil boiler. He connected the incoming hot to the bottom drain of the oil boiler and the return water where the relief is on top of the oil boiler. The diagram for central has the hot going in the top of the existing boiler. Is this ok?

Returns usually go to bottom and supply out the top. So if he was hooking it up in series that would be correct. Or should line added to the top be located somewhere else ? For example from the zones back to the WB then to the OB and to the zones.
The loop would be WB supply to OB return OB supply to zones & zones back to WB return ?

Better question . . . .(s)

Why do people in Virginia need central heat?

Why do people still buy from CB?

LOL, anyway, welcome to this joint :) Hang around and contribute once you get the bugs worked outa ya system.

haha well im in the blue ridge mountains and its gets pretty cold. got the cb used really cheap and oil is waaaayyyyy too expensive. The house also has no insulation in walls. ill try to post pictures.

harvdog31 said:
Im a newb and had a question concerning how my wood boiler just got hooked up to my existing oil boiler. He connected the incoming hot to the bottom drain of the oil boiler and the return water where the relief is on top of the oil boiler. The diagram for central has the hot going in the top of the existing boiler. Is this ok?
ive seen them hooked this way. ive been told its mainly to keep your oil boiler up to temperature so it wont come on. how does it work?

2.beans - my question would be?? How does it pick up the load?? It would put the hottest water back to the OWB!! If it were hooked the other way, it could act as a primitive hydraulic separator and the boiler should still be hot.

wood boiler supplies hot water to oil boiler oil boiler supplies hot water to house as long as the circulators are placed correctly on the return side. thats why i was asking how it worked. heres a picture of one
need help i think
hooked the same way. if theres no call for heat water returns to the wood boiler. if theres "load" the wood boiler supply goes straight to the load.

Attachments

• need help i think
    DSCF0303.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 326
  • need help i think
    DSCF0304.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 338
does this work?? Picture could be better. It looks like the zone pumps will pull water from each unit, but wood unit will be supplying water from the return tap to the zones and the system return will feed both units and one will be cold and depending on pressure drop one of them might get all the water.

yes this works, i wouldnt put up pictures of a system that didnt work. theres another 007 circulator on the back of the wood boiler that that runs 24/7. so when theres no call for heat the water is supplied to the return side of the oil boiler back out of the supply side of the oil boiler to the return side of the wood boiler where the circulator is. yes i could have a better picture but its not my set up.

her are some pictures of the setup

Attachments

• need help i think
    DSC01813.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 275
  • need help i think
    DSC01810.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 286
  • need help i think
    DSC01811.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 278
  • need help i think
    DSC01812.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 265
harvdog31,

Does the pex tubing they used have an oxygen barrier? Is there a plate heater and another pump that is just out of the pics? Is that a galv. elbow and coupling/reducer there too? Might not want that between copper and steel.

BB, I understand what you are saying. I think that would be a good set up for close space tees

I am not sure about the oxygen barrier. there is a pump at the wood boiler. it is galvanized and that was already there. There is no plate exchanger it is hooked up right to the boiler

it does work. I was just wondering if it would be more efficient if it was hooked up the other way and what the difference would be

What is the exact model of your wood boiler. You stated CB . Central boiler I assume. I don't recall that CB makes a pressurized boiler.

Is your gauge on the closed loop of the oil boiler reading pressure, 12psi+? assuming its not stuck.

bigburner said:
does this work?? Picture could be better. It looks like the zone pumps will pull water from each unit, but wood unit will be supplying water from the return tap to the zones and the system return will feed both units and one will be cold and depending on pressure drop one of them might get all the water.
i dont understand what your saying but it works really good.

the system was depressurized. pressure says something like 2-3 psi. cl-4436. my house is a single story so i dont have to worry about that issue.

http://www.centralboiler.com/Tech/C220.pdf

This is how I picture it should be hooked up to preserve the oil boiler vessel.

But I see CB also hooks up this way too (your hook up) http://www.centralboiler.com/Tech/C210.pdf

This is crazy. I don't know of any furnace installer that would stand behind there fossil fuel or electric boiler for that matter, with a plumbing hook up like the depressurized system that CB is advertising here.

my question though is shouldnt the incoming heat com into the top of the oil boiler because the hot water leaves the oil boiler to the radiators on the top. Just got in touch with the installer and he said he did it that way because it would push the air to the boiler outside. Im gonna have him switch the lines and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.