Need help identifying these vertical bricks on my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atom631

May 3, 2014
Northeast, USA
Im not sure this is in the right forum, but It does concern my PE Summit insert. Im that guy, 1st season owner with the Summit insert that is blowing through wood and have a tough time heating my house with it. This is the thread that explains my ongoing saga..which many of you have been extremely helpful and patient with me.

So here on Long Island this morning we have some seriously blustering winds. Its around 15 degrees out and blowing a good 40mph. I went to load my stove this morning and I can feel from underneath the stove massive amounts of air coming in. As stated in the other thread, I do not have a block off plate installed (it will be done this summer). However, I noticed I only feel the air from underneath the stove...not around the surround. I would think if the air was coming from up the chimney I would feel it all over. My fireplace is stone so the surround is definitely not flush and has lots of gaps. I noticed that when the wind picked up and I hear the air rush in, I hear a metallic flap that sounds like it opens and closes.

Here is a video of what Im hearing from my end. Towards the end you can hear the flap. Its quite incredible the amount of air rushing in. I felt it from over 5' away.

So I went outside to take a look at my ash dump. I had stuffed some insulation in the ash dump but maybe it wasnt enough or maybe air was still leaking. So I open and pull the insulation. I reach my hand all the way up and I can feel the cover that would be inside the fireplace. It wont budge, so thats not the flap. I

I then noticed this on the outside of my chimney. What are these vertical lines? They seem to go in really far. Is this some sort of fresh air intake for a normal fireplace? Maybe so that you can shut the glass door and have it pull air from outside? If so, Im guessing this would be for pure aesthetics?

A5yoJeN.jpg

I took a look at my boiler and I believe the boiler stack is on the opposite side of these vertical bricks. You can see in this pick the smaller cap is the boiler and its opposite the fireplace chimney.

uonZCKY.jpg

So my question is if anyone knows what these vertical lines are for? Is it safe to seal ( Im worried about carbon monoxide)? And what should I seal it with? Will silicone be OK or should I mortar them up?

That is for the old fresh air intake for the fireplace As long as you have a properly installed liner there should be no way for that to cause co to come into the house. I would stuff them with something for now and them mortar them in the spring

fresh air for fireplace. Mine has an adjustible one installed. I dont have an insert but I do have a tightly insulated house so I keep it slightly open for the stove to pull from.

ok good. So safe to close it up. This would definitely be an issue with heat loss, no?

This summer I am pulling the stove, installing a BOP, Fresh air kit and lining the back of the fireplace with roxaul to prevent the chimney from absorbing the radiated heat the stove gives off.

ok good. So safe to close it up. This would definitely be an issue with heat loss, no?
This summer I am pulling the stove, installing a BOP, Fresh air kit and lining the back of the fireplace with roxaul to prevent the chimney from absorbing the radiated heat the stove gives off.
Yeah lots of cold air could come in there. Sounds like a good plan

The excess cold air around the insert sounds like it is trying to heat with a refrigeration jacket on. I wouldn't wait for summer. For now seal up those vent holes right away and get some Roxul or kaowool to stuff up in the damper area around the liner. It won't be as good as a full block off plate, but it will make a notable improvement.

what would the noise be from? flap on vent?

I really cant figure out what is making the noise. I think its coming from the stove itself. I stuffed a ton of insulation in the spaces of the vertical bricks and it stopped the hurricane coming out from under the stove...but I still hear the flap when a big gust comes.

The excess cold air around the insert sounds like it is trying to heat with a refrigeration jacket on. I wouldn't wait for summer. For now seal up those vent holes right away and get some Roxul or kaowool to stuff up in the damper area around the liner. It won't be as good as a full block off plate, but it will make a notable improvement.

Vent holes are now stuffed with insulation until i can get down to depot and get some mortar. Probably do that tomorrow.

Do you think I can just pull the surround off the stove and stuff as much roxaul around the the stove as possible for now? Will that cause any sort of overheating of the stove?

Yes, pull off the surround and see how much room there is above the insert to pack the proper insulation up there. This should not overheat the stove. It just stops the stove from heating up the cold masonry of the chimney.

Yes, pull off the surround and see how much room there is above the insert to pack the proper insulation up there. This should not overheat the stove. It just stops the stove from heating up the cold masonry of the chimney.

I dont think i can get to the old damper area. I was thinking literally around the stove itself. Just try to jamb as much as I can around the sides, top and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.