Need Help Identifying this Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

68rs327

Jan 11, 2011
US
I just bought a Wood Stove tonight. It is a heavy cast iron stove that has the words Phoenix wrote on the doors. The Stove has the big door on the bottom to load wood into the stove and has a small long door at the top that is an Oven to cook things in? Have any of you guys ever seen a stove like this? I have never seen a heating stove with a Oven on it? Thank you,

Attachments

• Need Help Identifying this Wood Stove
    My Stove.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 403
I would love to know who made this stove, How old the stove is, and where I might get a manual for it?
I googled Phoenix Stoves and couldn't find anything.
Thanks guys.

It looks similar to some of the early Fisher stoves and the knock offs of fishers - there were probably 20 or more different knock offs. They were mostly step top stoves and yours is neat seeing as they put an oven up there above the baffle, good idea. It's obviously a pre-EPA stove and probably dates to the 70s. There's lots of folks on here who have older pre-EPA stoves that they really like. Most of them just have a channel where the door shuts, that one appears to have a gasket, does it? If so it might not be original to the stove but if it works go for it. Try doing a search on this forum for phoenix and for the fisher stoves and maybe you can find some more info, good luck!

That looks like some homemade or welding shop brand - there were hundreds of various quickies.
I can assure you it was not a well known or even slightly know brand.

There was a brand of early inserts call Phoenix, but they had full glass doors, etc....not that company!

Homemade stove from way back. That stove never had a manual. Or brothers and sisters.

Very very cool.

I'd love to see that stove sandblasted and refurbished. Please post photos if you do.

Good luck!

tickbitty said:
It looks similar to some of the early Fisher stoves and the knock offs of fishers - there were probably 20 or more different knock offs. They were mostly step top stoves and yours is neat seeing as they put an oven up there above the baffle, good idea. It's obviously a pre-EPA stove and probably dates to the 70s. There's lots of folks on here who have older pre-EPA stoves that they really like. Most of them just have a channel where the door shuts, that one appears to have a gasket, does it? If so it might not be original to the stove but if it works go for it. Try doing a search on this forum for phoenix and for the fisher stoves and maybe you can find some more info, good luck!
The stove does have the gaskets on the doors. It appears to be original because of the groove the gasket goes in. The stove is brick lined and is
31.5" X 19" X 30.5" tall. The top is totally flat. I have never seen a stove like this with an Oven. Thanks,

Webmaster said:
That looks like some homemade or welding shop brand - there were hundreds of various quickies.
I can assure you it was not a well known or even slightly know brand.

There was a brand of early inserts call Phoenix, but they had full glass doors, etc....not that company!
If a welding shop made it they did a heck of a job. I don't believe a Mom and Pop welding shop would have done such a good job on the stove. The Oven would have taken a lot of work for a welding shop, it's brick lined, and is a little to nice for a welding shop job. I saw another one like it for sale on the internet in North Dakota, I am located in Kentucky. I doubt that a welding shop would have national sales. I seriously don't believe a welding shop would have taken the time to put an Oven in the stove. The oven is not simply a metal box welded on the stove with a handle. It is pretty detailed inside. Also the doors have gaskets with a groove made into the stove. I don't think a Mom and Pop Welding shop would have taken the time to do all the details this stove has. It is made as nice and as heavy as a Fisher or Buck Stove. Definately not A Mom and Pop or "quicky" job.

BrotherBart said:
Homemade stove from way back. That stove never had a manual. Or brothers and sisters.
To much detail and work to be a Homemade Stove. See above post for details. I have seen a lot of Homemade stoves, this is definately not one.

I agree, it looks a bit too refined for a home-built. If it is, it's a first class job. Is that a thermometer in the oven door? Any baffle inside or just vent straight out the flue?

With a wirewheel brush, a little TLC and some paint it looks like it could turn into a nice and unique stove.

BeGreen said:
I agree, it looks a bit too refined for a home-built. If it is, it's a first class job. Is that a thermometer in the oven door? Any baffle inside or just vent straight out the flue?

With a wirewheel brush, a little TLC and some paint it looks like it could turn into a nice and unique stove.
I will check for thermostat and baffle tomorrow, cold, wind blowing and snowing all day. On the Oven door is a sight glass to view what is cooking.

68rs327 said:
BeGreen said:

I will check for thermostat and baffle tomorrow, cold, wind blowing and snowing all day. On the Oven door is a sight glass to view what is cooking.

I had some time today to look the stove over. It is a Thermometer made into the door. I thought it was a sight glass, but when I wiped the glass off it is a thermometer to tell the Temperature in the Oven. Not sure how you control the Temp. of the Oven?

Status
Not open for further replies.