Need help in deciding which Pellet Insert to get in the new house we just bought

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Image is not showing up. Not that tough to do Im sure I could walk you through it. Put up some pics before and during ( you have seen after). Please let me know and we will make you a tile star. Please post some photos. 002 (480x640).jpg 003 (480x640).jpg 011 (480x640).jpg 048 (640x480).jpg

So keeping the wood surround and mantel is an easy area to do. The hearth is an old quarry tile. How secure are the quarry tile? If you tap on them do any sound hollow..would sound like tapping on glass.

Yes, keeping the wood surround and mantel. The tile are very secure, none are loose, and if I tap on them, none sound hollow or like tapping on glass.

Are you planning on doing the hearth? If yes the best way to do it would be to break it out. Is the hearth the same height as the firebox?

Hey Enigma,

I like the Harman Accentra and think we would like to go with an insert vs a fs stove. I know they are pricey but other than wanting a fs stove was there anything else you didnt like about the Accentra insert?

Nothing at all. It was a superb stove and looks fantastic. We had the Accentra Insert in the home we used to live in, and it simply couldn't keep up with the 3200 square feet that we were trying to heat (but did a great job when the temperature was above 32). Again, my only real criticism is that the ash pan was ridiculously small (to me) and the hopper didn't even hold one full bag of pellets. We found the ash pan really needed to be emptied every two to three days, and the hopper would almost be guaranteed to be empty in the morning (and that's assuming that you topped it off right before you went to bed at around 11:30pm) if it was a colder night and you were running the stove pretty hard. I will tell you that I've always been thoroughly impressed with Harman's quality, which led me to purchasing the much more capable P68 for our new place. Good luck with your decision.

John

Yes, I wanted to do the hearth, and yes, the hearth is the same height as the firebox. So I would want to break out the hearth so that the new material I install will continue to be at the same height as the firebox?

Yes you would take out the hearth. Take a hammer and smack down on a piece. You want to hit down on the piece as opposed to trying to pry up from a side, this will rattle the piece and normally break them up easier. Keeping the same height should be easy. An older hearth like that will most likely be set in concrete which will need to be removed. It can be built back up with backerboard ( if needed). The good thing about slate is the thickness of both will be about the same, so getting the right height should not be tough. I,m thinking your hearth is appox. 56 to 58 " wide? Another thing about slate is it cuts very easy, though can break apart because of its nature ( wet saw).If you are ready for the challenge I will help you every step of the way. Have a few thoughts on a simple yet elegant design.

Status
Not open for further replies.