Need help measuring temps - Quad 4100i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MofoG23

Feeling the Heat
I did not want to hijack another thread, so I started this one.

Since I had the insert installed (couple months ago), I still do not know the proper way to measure temps to prevent an overfire condition using an IR thermometer. Below is the respone I received from Quadrafire when I asked them.

The 4100I front and top of the stove maximum temperature is 600 degrees.

The Glass is rated for 1200 degrees.

The Flue pipe is rated to 1700 degrees.

Below is a picture of my insert with 4 area's that could be considered the "top" or "front"

If I find temps of 600-650 on area 1 (warmest part of the stove, just above the center of the door) I will find the following temps at the other area's.
area 2: usually around 400-450
area 3: 275-375 with blower on
area 4: 325-400 (this is on the door itself - corner)

With those measurements, am I close to an overfire condition or do I have room to get it warmer?? My dealer has yet to call me back (going on 2 days now...)

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 279
Mofo,

I agreee that finding out how to tell what the temp is is tough on this stove with the way the blower air is routed and possible mounting locations. I have not even tried checking the top shelf as I cant even get water to steam from a kettle there so I know its going to be artificially low. I did once but that was when I loaded up, no blower, and watched the temp climb to about 550 at your position marked #2.

On a side note. I moved my thermometer this morning after reading your post in my thread to your position #1 from your position #2 and it went up about 50 degrees from under 400 to just over with the blower on medium and one big split burning pretty hot on some good coals. That being said I am thinking it is a better position to make sure I dont get too hot...but I certainly have not had that problem yet!

I realize this post is old, but I searched and did not really find any answers to this? I just got an IR gun and would like to get my 4100i running at optimal temps without getting too crazy. Any new thoughts on this question?

I am running at about 430 - 450 at position #1 right now and the fire seems to be really burning and its getting toasty in here. So I guess I can go even hotter?

lfunk,

I made it through the last season slowly ramping up the temps in my 4100i after not really being able to get straight answers from Quad and my dealer even though my dealer was a pleasure to deal with.

So...heres what I found.

I put a magnetic thermometer under the removable stove top piece on what is more the true "top". With blower off I got that to 600-650 and I will admit I was very nervous at first but when I cracked the blower it would never go above that. This summer I looked things over and everything looks good. I burned mostly seasoned almond and very very good peach wood and some HomeFire prest logs. Loaded up with seasoned wood most of the time didnt get me too far over 600. 550 was very very nice in my opinion and it seems the stove can take it no problem. I didnt move the thermometer much after putting it under the top since after playing it seemed be the hottest for me so I figured it best there. I am figuring 575 to be a nice operating temp for me this year? I suppose thats high in many peoples books but...the heat just wasnt there for us if it was much lower.

Quad and my dealer would not give me straight answers...I gave up.

I ran mine all last year around 600 at position #1. Never had a problem all year - so I will be running the same this year. It does spike 650-680 after a fresh load - then it settles down to the 600 range...

You are guys doing fine at those temps. I would say 600-700 would be the max I would get it.

When you see metal pieces starting to glow then you might be in trouble.

I had the top of a steel stove around 800F once (on accident) and everything looked fine.

zuegnu said:
lfunk,

I made it through the last season slowly ramping up the temps in my 4100i after not really being able to get straight answers from Quad and my dealer even though my dealer was a pleasure to deal with.

So...heres what I found.

I put a magnetic thermometer under the removable stove top piece on what is more the true "top". With blower off I got that to 600-650 and I will admit I was very nervous at first but when I cracked the blower it would never go above that. This summer I looked things over and everything looks good. I burned mostly seasoned almond and very very good peach wood and some HomeFire prest logs. Loaded up with seasoned wood most of the time didnt get me too far over 600. 550 was very very nice in my opinion and it seems the stove can take it no problem. I didnt move the thermometer much after putting it under the top since after playing it seemed be the hottest for me so I figured it best there. I am figuring 575 to be a nice operating temp for me this year? I suppose thats high in many peoples books but...the heat just wasnt there for us if it was much lower.

lol - just backed mine down after reading this. I am about 425 at position #1, but my IR gun is maxed out where you are talking about with the blower on, but it only goes up to 605 so its hard to say how hot it really is. The side of the stove is about 510 (the surround isn't on yet so its easy to get many different readings). I am going to order a thermometer since all they had at Lowes was the the IR gun I got. I should be able to get a good idea of the true temps looking at position #1 and then comparing it to the reading on top (under the lid). Eventually I should just be able to determine the temps by looking at position #1 after I get used to things.

Thanks for the responses.

no glowing so I figure it got to the 600-700 range before I backed things down. Now I lost the secondary burn so that might have been my ideal range. I will wait until I get the other thermometer though just to be sure before I get it really firing again. Only in the 30-40s at night so not that cold yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.