Need Help !! Safety ? with chimney / smoke chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dliguori

Dec 20, 2010
Pittsburgh
Good friend of mine is selling his house and the home inspector told him that the smoke chamber was formed with cinder block that led into the terra cotta flue and that it needs inspected by a chimney swwep. The sweep showed up and and told him that with the smoke chamber being lined with Cinder Block, he could not reccommend using this fire place to burn wood or gas due to the cinder block. This fireplace is in the center of his house and nothing was ever mentioned when during inspection when he purchased the home. Just trying to figure out the actual safety specs. He was set to close on the sale this week and this just came up. Any help would be appreciated. He is not looking to hide anything but rather just get the actual info and I know from browsing this site your guys will have the info! Thanks in advance! Your help is much appreciated.

I would make the same recommendation if I was the one doing the inspection - do not use the fireplace until this is addressed. There are ways to repair this, but smoke chamber issues are one of the things I pay extra close attention to both for performance and safety reasons.

Cinderblock is not a good material for containing CO2 or creosote. Its like trying to contain water within a tub made of sponge.

Status
Not open for further replies.