Need help to wire house loop circ to controller.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huffdawg

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I have a Honeywell aq2000 controller . I would like to set up my house loop circ so that it shuts off when there is no demand in the house. This pump is in my boiler room about 50 to 60 feet away from the controller which is in my house. I have a conduit to run any control wires I need to.

Thanx

Huff

I have a Honeywell aq2000 controller . I would like to set up my house loop circ so that it shuts off when there is no demand in the house. This pump is in my boiler room about 50 to 60 feet away from the controller which is in my house. I have a conduit to run any control wires I need to.

Thanx

Huff
Dale in my system the thermostat's only control the the zone valves the circulator runs continuous , I have a by pass loop at the circulator to pervent cavitation if all four zones are closed. Pictured the by pass loop, the flow control is at the top left side.The dead end at the bottom of the loop is for drying gloves !
Don't know anything about your controller, but I,m guessing the end switch on your zone valves if connected to a relay in the controller may turn the circulator on and off.( you will need to run some wire)

Attachments

• IMGP4421.JPG
    IMGP4421.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 136
Dale in my system the thermostat's only control the the zone valves the circulator runs continuous , I have a by pass loop at the circulator to pervent cavitation if all four zones are closed. Pictured the by pass loop, the flow control is at the top left side.The dead end at the bottom of the loop is for drying gloves !
Don't know anything about your controller, but I,m guessing the end switch on your zone valves if connected to a relay in the controller may turn the circulator on and off.( you will need to run some wire)

Hi Alan, My house loops supplies heat to the house via 1-1/4 pex, the pump is in the boiler room. It does run continuously . I think I will move it into the house maybe . I just thought it was a waste of energy having the pump run continously especially in the summer when DHW will be te only demand.

I just thought it was a waste of energy having the pump run continously especially in the summer when DHW will be te only demand.

The circulator that was in the picture ran continually for 14 years ( it failed on Monday) it was a very small draw at .7 amps if they run continuous they last longer . You almost have to do the math , the cost of electricity vs that of more circulators .
Maybe others can share their experiences on circulator life spans , continuous service vs standby.

Hi Alan, My house loops supplies heat to the house via 1-1/4 pex, the pump is in the boiler room. It does run continuously . I think I will move it into the house maybe . I just thought it was a waste of energy having the pump run continously especially in the summer when DHW will be te only demand.
I haven't done any electrical measurements yet, but I'm hoping that my two Taco delta T circs will save money over time. One, on the pellet boiler is controlled by an aquastat surface mounted on the pellet boiler's output and set to close at 140 degrees, never stops running, although its rpm is very low when the return line is near or at 140 and when the output is near 140. The greater the deltal T between the two, the faster the pump runs. If constant running is good, then slow and constant have to also be good, or better.

I haven't done any electrical measurements yet, but I'm hoping that my two Taco delta T circs will save money over time. One, on the pellet boiler is controlled by an aquastat surface mounted on the pellet boiler's output and set to close at 140 degrees, never stops running, although its rpm is very low when the return line is near or at 140 and when the output is near 140. The greater the deltal T between the two, the faster the pump runs. If constant running is good, then slow and constant have to also be good, or better.

How much were your DT circs. smoke eater

How much were your DT circs. smoke eater
The 007 was about $173 and the 0012, $380. I really think that the standard or 3 speed pumps might be a much better buy because, although I haven't calculated energy savings, I don't think these pumps would use the difference in price between the Delta Ts and regular pumps over their lifetime. I wanted the potential savings, but I also wanted the least noise, especially after listening to a big ol' centrifugal blower from my hot air wood furnace rumble on a set a worn bearings. Now the house is too quiet and I can still hear a 3 speed Grundfos kick on when any thermostat calls for heat. Can't complain though because compared to before, it's very quiet in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.