Need help tree identifying

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KJamesJR

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2018
New Hampshire
took a tree down that I thought was a young oak, now I’m not so sure. I can’t hardly split it with an axe. I’m now thinking it’s Elm.

It’s still very much winter here so there’s no leaves to go by. So I took some pictures of the cross section and buds.

Dutch Elm disease is a real thing in my location. I have several of these trees, most mature.

Attachments

• 3289663B-D07D-4267-B120-B0BAAC95066B.jpeg
    3289663B-D07D-4267-B120-B0BAAC95066B.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 330
  • CFCA8A04-11DB-4E4D-A1FF-3F3C090E19AA.jpeg
    CFCA8A04-11DB-4E4D-A1FF-3F3C090E19AA.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 279
Or maybe Hackberry, is that part of that tree in the second picture used as a background for the buds? That one looks like hackberry

Or maybe Hackberry, is that part of that tree in the second picture used as a background for the buds? That one looks like hackberry
The tree in the background is not included. I was having issues focusing on the buds so used a random tree for background.

So how do I split Elm? I’ve gone through sugar maple, red maple, cherry and applewood with little issues. I can not get through this Elm.

The tree in the background is not included. I was having issues focusing on the buds so used a random tree for background.

So how do I split Elm? I’ve gone through sugar maple, red maple, cherry and applewood with little issues. I can not get through this Elm.
If you can put it aside and give it a year or wait till you have a zero degree day and it splits great. Good luck!

Hydraulic splitter. It can be a pain even with one of those. Some trees are better than others. I just know the fence line elms in my windy area are knotted and twisted. It does split much better when dry or frozen.

Strange... I thought it was so difficult to split BECAUSE it was frozen. I’m using a Fiskars x27 and it just bounces right off it. Had to sharpen twice.

Hackberry, 1st image. Hard to tell on the buds, need a close up, but they look elm-ish. Tree behind the buds is also hackberry.

I have had hackberry split easy by hand and then some that required splitter. I don't even try to hand split anymore.

Last edited:
Do you actually have to split it? Perhaps I’m underestimating the diameter from the picture, but it looks quite small. If it’s so hard to split, couldn’t you buck it and stack it somewhere separately to give it longer to season in round form?We used to get gum from my mother that she couldn’t split with her little hydraulic splitter. Her old stove has a very narrow door, but it fit in ours without a problem.

I’ve never burned any elm, but I keep reading that it’s pretty low moisture to begin with if it’s dead. How large is that trunk?

Do you actually have to split it? Perhaps I’m underestimating the diameter from the picture, but it looks quite small. If it’s so hard to split, couldn’t you buck it and stack it somewhere separately to give it longer to season in round form?We used to get gum from my mother that she couldn’t split with her little hydraulic splitter. Her old stove has a very narrow door, but it fit in ours without a problem.

I’ve never burned any elm, but I keep reading that it’s pretty low moisture to begin with if it’s dead. How large is that trunk?
It's not too large a diameter. I'd say the trunk is about 14". It's really tall. It's also really straight so I don't know why it's giving me issues. I'm going to try a shorter log when I get back to the house. Maybe a 16" log will split better than a 20".

Hackberry isn't supposed to be common in my area. From what I've been reading it's in the Elm family. I have quite a few more. I'm going to let the rest put leaves out so I know what they are for sure.

It's not too large a diameter. I'd say the trunk is about 14". It's really tall. It's also really straight so I don't know why it's giving me issues. I'm going to try a shorter log when I get back to the house. Maybe a 16" log will split better than a 20".

Hackberry isn't supposed to be common in my area. From what I've been reading it's in the Elm family. I have quite a few more. I'm going to let the rest put leaves out so I know what they are for sure.
If your other elm isn't in the way let them grow till the disease gets them. Then let bark fall off then they will dry fast! I don't split my elm unless it's over 10" cause that's the size of my stove door. 1 8-9" log will give me 9-10 hours of heat at night. There isn't many man hours involved with 1 round of elm burning that long. Pretty efficient in my opinion

Attachments

• IMG_7356.JPG
    IMG_7356.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 126
If your other elm isn't in the way let them grow till the disease gets them. Then let bark fall off then they will dry fast! I don't split my elm unless it's over 10" cause that's the size of my stove door. 1 8-9" log will give me 9-10 hours of heat at night. There isn't many man hours involved with 1 round of elm burning that long. Pretty efficient in my opinion
That's my all nighter stack

Looks like elm to me. Splits great with a kinetic splitter! I enjoy burning it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Slocum