Need help with a new notebook/netbook

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hi All,
I have an Inspiron 600M that I no longer use because it's a bit bulky to surf the web. My brother's gonna buy it, so I'm looking at a netbook for around $300. Any suggestions on what I should consider, some good deals, and what I should avoid?

So you know, I have a Sony Vaio VGN-TX650 ($2400 mini-laptop from 5 years ago) and I absolutely love it, but Sony's netbook versions look more expensive than what I can expect from my bro.

S

I am in the same boat as you. I thought i wanted a netbook because of price, but i am finding for $150-200 more i am looking towards a full sized laptop.
Had my eyes on a dell @ new egg, sadly i just checked and they were sold out =(. Just waiting on my taxes to come in. Also looking at this Dell over at best buy

The lack of a cd/dvd player on a netbook is a deal breaker for me, and i feel a notebook like the above or similar has more bang for the buck.

Seige, I understand what you mean, and a lot of people have said the same, but if I do something like that, I might as well stay with what I have.

When I bought the Vaio, it was way expensive for what it offered--the price was all about the size. But that size is absolutely the reason I love it and use it so much--I can literally bring it everywhere and the battery lasts forever.

S

I have an acer aspire one. Not too bad, but if you look at one make sure you get one you can upgrade the memory in. Mine is stuck permanently with one gig and it struggles sometimes with windows 7. But besides the memory issue, I love this little laptop.

i would recommend tiger direct dot com. I have used them several times and normally wouldn't plug another web site. But their service and prices are pretty tough to beat. I got a full size laptop for my sister-in-law for about 400$. It is a dualcore with the dvdburner, built in wifi and a longer battery life. I am sure the netbooks are even cheaper. They also have several deals with free shipping.

Jon

I just got a Dell Studio 15. Win 7, 500Gb HDD, and 4 Gb memory. I think Staples has it now for about $750. I really like this machine. It is the most powerful and cheapest computer that I have ever owned. I'd buy another in a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.