Need help with a thermostat please! Englander stove/Skytech thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spsalmon

Feb 8, 2011
Upstate NY
Hello and Happy Thanksgiving! We've had our Englander #25PAH for a year now and just love it. We installed a Skytech Thermostat model 5301 yesterday and can't get it to work. We set the thermostat for 65 degrees and it's now 71 with a swing of only 2. We called the Skytech people and they couldn't help. The remote beeps when it should when talking/learning from the transmitter. To install the thermostat we removed the jump wire and attached the wires. The stove still works so I'm sure we got that part right. We want to be able to set the thermostat at 67 or 68 and have the temperature stay around that point. The stove never shuts off, and we can't hear any difference in the speed it is adding pellets. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help! Sue and Pete

Pete&Sue; said:
Hello and Happy Thanksgiving! We've had our Englander #25PAH for a year now and just love it. We installed a Skytech Thermostat model 5301 yesterday and can't get it to work. We set the thermostat for 65 degrees and it's now 71 with a swing of only 2. We called the Skytech people and they couldn't help. The remote beeps when it should when talking/learning from the transmitter. To install the thermostat we removed the jump wire and attached the wires. The stove still works so I'm sure we got that part right. We want to be able to set the thermostat at 67 or 68 and have the temperature stay around that point. The stove never shuts off, and we can't hear any difference in the speed it is adding pellets. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help! Sue and Pete

Does that thermostat have a button labeled auto and one labeled manual if so press the one labeled auto and tell us what happens.

At the top of the screen does it say on and thermo? If it only says on then it will just keep running, if it says thermo you should be working as you want it to. Press the mode/set button to change the mode it is operating in.

How does the manual for the stove say the stove will operate on a thermostat.

If the stove runs in high lo mode it won't go off even when the thermostat say I have enough heat. It goes to low burn. Now if your high setting you selected on the stove is the same as the low burn setting there won't be any difference in how the stove burns.

I'll download the manual for that stat and see what is what.

ebengel said:
At the top of the screen does it say on and thermo? If it only says on then it will just keep running, if it says thermo you should be working as you want it to. Press the mode/set button to change the mode it is operating in.

X2 page 1 of the manual

One other thing I thought of. Is the switch on the receiver set to on or remote. At on the stove works only by its own controls, it must be set to remote for the transmitter to have control of the stove functions.

We have options for only: On, Off, or Thermoff. We're set at 65 and the temp in the room is now 72. The transmitter is in the remote position.

Thermoff will display when you are running in thermo mode and the system is above temp. At that point it should start shutting down your stove to let the temp come down. I am not sure if your stove will run on/off with a thermostat or high/low. Someone with an Englander on the board should be able to answer that. Anyway when the remote shows thermoff give it a few minutes to see exactly what happens with the stove and let us know your results.

When it shows thermoff does it shut the stove down?

If you press the mode/set button until the display shows off does that start shutting the stove down?

Is the receiver you wired to the stove definitely set to remote?

Something is wrong. After you hit the learn button, then you hit Mode button. Does the beeping sound happen again?

Are the 2 wires secure?

Are the batteries in the Receiver unit (on the stove) correcty?

Have you tried to slighty adjust the setting on the side of the box? How far away are you when trying all of this?

Since it doesn't shut down when turned to off it sounds like it is not registering from the remote at all so I would try to relearn the remote. You use a paperclip to push the learn button on the transmitter then push the mode button on the remote. The beeping sound should change when you press the mode button and that will show that they are matched up.

The PAH works in strict on off mode no matter how you control the stove.

I would turn the stove off, let it cool off, get to the control board and make certain that the the receiver is attached to the block where the jumper was and that there is no short between the wires from the receiver.

That would keep the stove running.

The receiver being in manual mode would also keep the stove running.

If you have a multimeter we can check that the thermostat and its receiver are operating correctly.

Checking the thermostat receiver with a multimeter:

With the receiver disconnected from the stove

Attach a multimeter set to measure resistance across the receivers wires and use the remote to turn the stove on or off. The resistance should go from high in off state to low in on state.

I have relearned it again and everything beeps when it should. Last night I went and bought new batteries for the transmitter and checked that they were put in correclty. Haven't tried the adjustment on the side. Maybe that is it? I'll go check the manual. By the way, Pete is out temporarily and you're just talking to Sue - I'm not as knowledgeable about electricity, tools, etc. as he is, so that's why we're down to basics here! Thanks for your patience.

Pete's back - he just shut the stove off to let it cool down. When it's ready, he's going to get his meter and test it. Will let you all know the results.

Well, Pete checked all wires, we relearned the remove/transmitter. The remote seems to be working ok - I think it must be the transmitter itself or this thermostat just won't work on this stove. I read in an earlier sequence of postings that someone else had the same problems, was ready to give up, and his just started working. Maybe that will happen to us? Thanks for all your help.

its not the stat, its the control board stat mode setting

shut the stove down, unplug it plug it back in the quickly press and release BOTH down arrows (together use 2 fingers) hwen you do this you will see "0-0" display on the control board , the board should now be set for "on-off" instead of "high-low" this will allow the unit to shut off and on based on the stat.

the PAH has BOTH options, to change back and forth use the method above.

if this does not straighten it out for you , call me at 800-245-6489 tomorrow morning i get in at 8 am eastern , i'll get you straight

Status
Not open for further replies.