Need help with adding floor protection to rounded hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kiminnh

Nov 11, 2015
Nh
We have a rounded built in corner hearth and we just had a lopi installed..
We don't have the minimum front of stove floor protection. What can we do/add to this rounded brick hearth? All hearth rugs and pads are either half rounds or rectangles and nothing would sit flush.
20200903_090327.jpg

That appears to be right at a doorway, is this correct? That adds a complication. You don't want something that can be tripped on. For ember protection, a sheet of metal cut to fit the curve, that is tacked down will suffice.

That appears to be right at a doorway, is this correct? That adds a complication. You don't want something that can be tripped on. For ember protection, a sheet of metal cut to fit the curve, that is tacked down will suffice.
Thankfully, that is just a slider to a screened porch so its not in use over the winter. Any advice on how to tack down the metal to the vinyl planks?

There will also be a gate going around for child protection so tripping shouldn't be an issue regardless. Hopefully. lol

Pre-drill the metal plate and then nail with 1" brads every 6" or so.

I would probably design a custom protector using 1/8" plate steel, have it laser cut and powder coated black. I would leave it in place during heating months and remove it the rest of the time.

How about it you rotate the stove so it sits in there straight? Would it meet clearances then?

I would probably design a custom protector using 1/8" plate steel, have it laser cut and powder coated black. I would leave it in place during heating months and remove it the rest of the time.
I was thinking 22ga steel painted or copper as a permanent installation.

Reactions: Mech e
I second rotating the stove. And/or get a proper rug and cut the arch into it so it fits snug against the arched bricks.

On a side note, the different colors of the bricks on the wall portions looks really good. In my opinion.