Need Help with chimney Installation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truviking

Jan 27, 2008
Virginia
Can someone help me figure if this chimney set-up will work? I am limited to where I can put it. I have a Fisher Papa Bear wood stove with a 6" outlet pipe. I think I read some where that using more than 3 90 degree elbow(turns) is not recommended but can work.I would like to know if this set-up will work.I will be using the Dua-Vent system. See pic.
Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appricated.
Thanks

Attachments

• c1.JPG
    c1.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 297
I don't think the "T" on the back of the stove counts as a 90, so you'll be fine there. What I'm wondering about is that looong horizontal run. Why so far from the wall??

The loooong horizontal is because it runs under my deck then turns vertical. The vertical run might be a little higher than I stated also.

I'm leary of that 9' horozontal run. You may have trouble starting the draft with that setup. Also you'll need a 1/4 inch rise for every foot of horozontal, so you'll want to tilt that up as it runs to the vertical section.

You're going to have to make that 9' vertical run likely 18' to have a chance at that working. Why not go through your deck and up the side of your house?

Shane said:
You're going to have to make that 9' vertical run likely 18' to have a chance at that working. Why not go through your deck and up the side of your house?

I could do that but then my chimney would have to run up past the second floor. My deck is covered up to the first floor so I would have to cut thur the ceiling of the covered deck and run it up against the house past the second floor..I was just trying to do it the easy way.

Attachments

• c2.JPG
    c2.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 256
This will not work correctly and is probably against code and standard.

A stove usually has to be within a certain distance of the vertical chimney.....I always used 6 feet as a rule, but up to 8 feet might do in some rare cases.

The TEE does count - in terms of physics - 100%. Consider that a straight up chimney in this case would have one bend. This chimney has three.

This system will not work. In effect it will have NO draft.

Besides looking really awful, I agree, it won't draft.

What is directly above the first floor location? Is it possible to run the stack straight up the interior of the house? It will perform way better and stay cleaner. The pipe can be boxed in a chase to keep it tidy looking.

Even if it had a chance of working, from your second pic the chimney would be lower than the house itself which is also bad. And the stove is in the basement. Your original plan is the trifecta of bad things you can do with a wood stove.

BeGreens idea of going inside the house would be your best bet, only other viable option would be through the deck and up the side of the house.

So If I go through the deck and up the side of the house, that will work? If so I will go that route. Thank you guys for the inout. You guys are great!!!!!

truviking said:
So If I go through the deck and up the side of the house, that will work? If so I will go that route. Thank you guys for the inout. You guys are great!!!!!

It should work, though going straight up through the house would be even better. Either way you might need a fairly tall stack above the roof - Code requires you to follow the "10-3-2" rule, or 3' above the high point of where you come through the roof, and 2' above anything within a 10' radius of that point. However practical experience says that if you are on the low edge of a tall roof, or have other nearby obstructions, you might need more to get a good draft, possibly up to the height of the roof peak. A lot depends on the local micro-climate in such cases.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.