Need help with Condar FlueGard thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n6crv

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale Co. Michigan
Hello, I just received my probe thermometer and "might" be having trouble with it. I thought that I would check my 2 mag mount ones to see how they read. So I heated our cooking stove to 300deg and sat them on the rack. One was reading high so just turned the needle a little. I thought I would see what the new probe one read. I sat the whole thermometer in the stove on the rack. At 300deg oven temp it was reading 700deg. Went to 350 in the oven and the probe thermometer reads 1000deg. The cooking oven is adjusted by a readout so it should be close to correct. Am I getting the high reading because I'm putting the whole thermometer in the oven? I called Condar and all they say is send it back. Well I don't want the expense or time to get it back if it is just the way I was testing it. I sure could use the help if anyone else has tried this. Thanks
Don

sounds defective, send it back.

The only thing I can think of is that the metal rack might be hotter than the air in the oven which is what the 350 dial setting is supposed to measure. The probe on the condar is touching the metal rack? For grins, try elevating it or even placing it face down and reading with a mirror. Idea being that the probe is in free air.

Update, called Condar again and asked for the tech dept. The lady was alot more help then customer service. She thinks I was getting the high reading because the thermometer is suppose read the temp from the probe. I was heating the whole unit and it was making it read wrong. Well I took a old piece of stove pipe drilled a 1/4 hole stuck the probe in and heated it up. I used a propane torch and was getting a reading of 1100 deg. I then started a fire in the wood stove (53 degs outside) and opened up the windows. Well had a good hot but small fire going for about 45 minutes. I got a reading from the probe thermometer of 700deg and from the magmount of 300deg. Just checked it as it is starting to cool down probe 600, mag 250. Does that sound about right?
Thanks!
Don

From what ive read a 2-1 ratio, inner to surface is about right. Seems your close

Double wall connecter pipe or single wall? what was the stove top temp at each temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.