Need help with Flashing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveguy123

Nov 24, 2013
Van, WA
Hopefully this photo speaks for it's self. Improper flashing was the cause on the back side of the chimney (roof side), has been fixed since we bought the house, area behind chimney is now dry. As you can see, everything within 18" of the chimney is rotted out an bugs have been having a heyday.

This is the Southern side of the house, sees all the sun in the summer and the horizontal rain from pacific NW in the winter.

My question is should/how do I flash the red and yellow areas? Or is it even needed? I guess the biggest question I have is how do you transition to the chimney from the cedar siding? Trim board and caulk?

Was thinking about cutting a kerf down the green line and installing step flashing with the cedar lap siding, but seems like overkill. Red area I'm still not sure about.

Would like to see what you guys think? Have only really found one post on this, but it was for vinyl siding.

0SxkU6k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid this is about all I know about flashing . . . hope it helps. ;) :)

Actually I suspect someone who knows more will be along shortly.

Attachments

• Man-Flashing-in-a-Park-87781-copy.jpg
    Man-Flashing-in-a-Park-87781-copy.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,969
Reactions: bfast250
Neither area is mandatory for flashing, but it couldn't hurt to do so. Also, the horizontal area between the circles can be sealed also. This is a prime entry for bats, mice, squirrels, and insects.

I'm a home builder, and yes I would flash it. I would cut a 1/4 inch kerf through the grout lines. Just draw a schematic on something with the dimensions. Then take that info to your local sheet metal shop and they can bend it in the color you choose. Press it into the kerf and caulk it in with some FLEX grout colored caulk. If you go with vinyl siding you will need the "C" channel anyway. Simply caulk with 100 % silicone in between the vinyl channel and the flashing. Should be less than 60 bucks for the metal flashing. You got this