Need help with installing Trolla 105A woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Xtolekbananx

Dec 11, 2016
New york
Hello. I'm new to this and learned a ton from this website. I never set up a wood stove so any help will be appreciated. I have a 10x20 hunting cabin, it is basically a shed converted to a cabin. I'm trying to put a Trolla 105A in the corner. The stove is the same size as Jotul 602 and is lined with firebricks. So I was thinking the set up would be like this. Hearth would be 36x36 cement board with some 2 inch paver stones or other stone. The floor of the cabin is plywood and 2x6 floor joists that sit on 4x4 runners and gravel pad.

I would use imperial heat shield board 36x48 at 1 inch from the wall. Now the stove pipe would go up about 16 inches up then 45 angle to 24 inch and 90 angle to 12 inch to wall thimble and from there to DuraVent DuraPlus 6 in. Through-The-Wall Chimney Stove Vent Kit and then chimney. The stove would be positioned so the corners are about 9 inches from heat shield and the reason for 45° angle is because of the studs. I don't have clearances for this stove as it is old and couldn't find much info.

Also can I put fire rope in the stove collar. The collar it twist lock and leaves a gap that needs to be sealed. I sealed the stove with cement and changed all bricks. So my question is if I'm doing this right. Any input will be appreciated. Here are a few pictures of the set up. Also anything on the wall would be removed.
Thanks
20170516_095358.jpg 20170516_095426.jpg 20170516_095434.jpg
20170516_095513.jpg 20170516_095728.jpg 20170516222647bdcce1b5d2cf59a4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With a proper ventilated heat sheild you need 12 inches from the stove to combustibles and 6 inch for the pipe. Without a heat sheild it is 36 and 18. I would also consider going straight up and out ut is cheaper and works better

The clearances will need to be increased so that the stove is no closer than 12" to the NFPA 211 wall shielding. The stove pipe must be at least 18" from any combustible if single wall. 6" if double-wall stove pipe. No need to buy stove board for the wall shield. Sheet metal or cement board will work as long as it is on 1" non-combustible standoffs with a 1" gap at the bottom and open at the top.

I'd also put sheet metal under the cement pavers. The front of the hearth should extend at least 16" in front of the stove door. That will may make it larger than 36 x 36.

Attached are a couple shots from the Jotul F602 requirements that show wall shielding and hearth requirements. Your stove length may or may not be the same, but the general principals are the same.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 7.59.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 8.00.17 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The reason I don't go through the roof is that I have a storage loft above the stove so would have to cut through that. And I got the through the wall kit almost free.

Can corrugated galvanized sheet metal roofing be used as heat shield. They have it at Lowes?
yes it needs spaced off the wall 1" with noncombustible spacers and needs a 1" gap top and bottom