Need help with my Clayton add on wood burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slthompson

Oct 19, 2008
southern KY
I have just purchased a clayton add on wood burner with a three speed blower. I have it installed in my basement an tied into my duct work. seems to work pretty good, although I can't seem to figure out a good thermostat to buy for it to work off of. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also any suggestions on just burning wood in this stove, what to watch for? what to do to make by wood burnig expierence a little easier and better. Thanks

Welcome Scotty. I'm moving this post over to the boiler room so that you reach folks familiar with operating this unit.

I also do not have a trap door in the bottom of my flu. Is this a must have or will I be ok to burn in this flu. And I think I figured out the thermostat problem but I can't seem to get the blower to work off of it. There is an extra what looks like a thermostat on the back of the stove for the blower. It has points on it to adjust for the blower to kick on and off. Is there any good system for these to be set at?

Scotty, the thermostat looking thing on the back of your stove is the fan control. The room t stat only controls the combustion air damper, the fan control takes care of the blower cycling on and off. It should have three pointers or settings on it: the lowers one is the fan off temp. You should set it at about 100 deg or so, if you let the blower run much below that the air will feel too cool in the living space. The next higher temp pointer is the fan on temp. Set this one at about 150 degrees or so. The highest temp pointer is the high limit, this set of contacts is wired is series with the room thermostat so that if the temp of the HX reaches this set point, the contacts will open and shut down the combustion draft damper and cool down the stove. This is handy if say the blower motor quits or the airflow is restricted in some way. Without this control, the stove would just get hotter and hotter with no airflow across the heat exchanger. I had a Clayton for a while and I had the high limit set on about 190-200. Hope this helps and welcome to this great forum.

yeah I found out tonight that I do not need to just turn the fan off!! the stove got really hot an I was afraid it might catch something on fire. So I figured out the fan is not just to blow air through the house but to also cool the stove. This is a pretty good burner I guess, I have burned in it about three times now and each time it burns for about 6 to 8 hours with good kiln dried oak. If I really choked it down it would probably burn longer. Anymore info will be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.