Need help with setting Harmon Accentra

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally see a drop in temp the day after cleaning my Accentra Insert, but it doesn't drop off as much as yours.

Q: Have you pulled your stove out and checked the flue pipe? When I pulled my stove out recently I gently tapped the vent pipe and a fair amount of ash slithered out [hard to quantify, but I would guess it was at least a coffee can's worth]. I was surprised at how much came out and wonder if others are seeing this same thing.

I would suggest running it on Stove Temp mode, as everything I have read here, as well as my personal experience, has shown that is the most effective way to consistently produce high heat. I generally leave the feed rate on 3 or 4 and just leave it there.

On a side note, I installed the outside air kit last weekend, and there is DEFINITELY less draft in the room. It is noticeably warmer in certain areas where before you could feel cold air rushing by. I would imagine that results would be different for each installation, and dependent on placement of stove, insulation characteristics of house etc., but this is certainly beneficial in my case.

pelletNJ said:
I normally see a drop in temp the day after cleaning my Accentra Insert, but it doesn't drop off as much as yours.

Q: Have you pulled your stove out and checked the flue pipe? When I pulled my stove out recently I gently tapped the vent pipe and a fair amount of ash slithered out [hard to quantify, but I would guess it was at least a coffee can's worth]. I was surprised at how much came out and wonder if others are seeing this same thing.

I would suggest running it on Stove Temp mode, as everything I have read here, as well as my personal experience, has shown that is the most effective way to consistently produce high heat. I generally leave the feed rate on 3 or 4 and just leave it there.

On a side note, I installed the outside air kit last weekend, and there is DEFINITELY less draft in the room. It is noticeably warmer in certain areas where before you could feel cold air rushing by. I would imagine that results would be different for each installation, and dependent on placement of stove, insulation characteristics of house etc., but this is certainly beneficial in my case.

I have been thinking of putting the OAK on. If you dont mind me asking what did that cost to do? I feel drafts by my sliding doors and floor molding.
What # do you use in stove temp mode? My stove will be 1 month old this Monday.I have cleaned EPS and all the nooks and crannies but havent touched the vent pipe yet I thought it would just be a once a year spring cleaning thing. I am cleaning stove today and will try tapping the pipe.
Last night my electric went out for about 30 min. I found something out I dont like. I got a bit of smoke in my house and a burning wood smell. It seams like once you lose power there is too much heat build up and not enough exhaust .My wife wasnt very happy.The glass cloudy up very bad also.

I was quite happy to find out that my insert with a 4" full length (18') flue liner doesn't leak smoke at all when I loose electricity. The glass even remains clean but the flames definitely get very lazy.

investor7952 said:
pelletNJ said:

I have been thinking of putting the OAK on. If you dont mind me asking what did that cost to do? I feel drafts by my sliding doors and floor molding.
What # do you use in stove temp mode? My stove will be 1 month old this Monday.I have cleaned EPS and all the nooks and crannies but havent touched the vent pipe yet I thought it would just be a once a year spring cleaning thing. I am cleaning stove today and will try tapping the pipe.
Last night my electric went out for about 30 min. I found something out I dont like. I got a bit of smoke in my house and a burning wood smell. It seams like once you lose power there is too much heat build up and not enough exhaust .My wife wasnt very happy.The glass cloudy up very bad also.

Cost was minimal for the OAK, as I have an ash cleanout in the bottom of my fireplace that vents directly outside. Home Depot had 3" dryer vent pipe, hose clamps.etc... probably cost me about $20 in stuff.

I too was surprised at the buildup of ash in the flue, next cleaning I will check it again.

I leave my stove temp at highest setting, just let it crank!

lecomte38 said:
I was quite happy to find out that my insert with a 4" full length (18') flue liner doesn't leak smoke at all when I loose electricity. The glass even remains clean but the flames definitely get very lazy.

I have a 4 inch but vents out directly behind stove

pelletNJ said:
investor7952 said:
pelletNJ said:

Cost was minimal for the OAK, as I have an ash cleanout in the bottom of my fireplace that vents directly outside. Home Depot had 3" dryer vent pipe, hose clamps.etc... probably cost me about $20 in stuff.

I too was surprised at the buildup of ash in the flue, next cleaning I will check it again.

I leave my stove temp at highest setting, just let it crank!

Where abouts in NJ are you I am in Sussex county Hampton Twsp.
I just got back from HD and bought a 49 dollar Toro electric leaf vac. I bought a pvc adapter to fit the vac part and my vent pipe.WHAT A JOB IT DID !!I was amazed at how clean it got my vent pipe.It was so easy to do also.That should save me 150 bucks a year for a service guy to clean it out.

Hey Investor7952....We both are on the same page with the accentra insert. I clean my exchangers every week and I need to clean my stove every 3-4 days. It's crazy! I enjoy it though and feel confident it's saving me money on my oil bill. Actually I know it is. I've only used 100 gallons since October! My question to the group is, if I was to run a 3" OAK on my accentra insert I would have to make the run all the way up my chimney. I have no ash clean out area in my fireplace. Has anyone installed the OAK aftermarket set-up without going through Harman's kit to get the outside air. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I feel cold air being pulled from windows and door seams and it working aginst me in warming my home. I only run on Stove Temp. I can manage pellet consumption that way and of-set oil consumption that way, due to price. Oil here on the island is $2.21 per gallon. Any chaeaper I'm going to use oil instead of pellets. Pellets are WAY over priced these days!

Status
Not open for further replies.