Need help with venting my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valtar

Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2009
Mexico
Hello all,

I purchased my wood stove a few days ago and I'm planning the installation, it'll be done by me. The stove will have a 22' straight up run of single wall pipe untill the roof, my problem is that the roof is made of concrete, a 4" to 5" thick poured slab, the problem I have is that I don't know what to use to connect the single wall pipe to the type A chimney at the roof. Is it possible that I can use a wall thimble for this? I'm attaching a sketch of my plan.

Please help... Valentin

Attachments

• Need help with venting my stove
    StoveInstallation.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 370
I suspect I'd use a cathedral ceiling support box for the class A, with the top 6" bent back 90 deg. to form a flange that can be anchored and sealed to the concrete deck. Then lay a hot tar patch over the flange and the existing roofing. On the interior, I'd also brace the box to the ceiling with a stout angle iron collar. The 22' of single wall doesn't have me too excited. That's a lot of flue cooling. But it should be ok if only thoroughly seasoned wood is burned. However, if it were me, I'd use double wall to keep the flue gases hotter.

Diagram shows a slight slope to the roof. Hope so, or it could be a problem, but can be done if the installer knows how to seal correctly. Regardless, it will need the mating flashing and storm collar. Alternatively it could be installed with a roof support kit.

See the DuraVent installation guide, pages 12-16 for roof supported installation instructions and guidelines.

I didn't even realize a wood stove would be needed in Mexico. :)

A lot of Mexico is high altitude. It can get cold at night in the winter and only up to 50 during the day.

Thanks for the input. The lenght of the single wall will be 15' not 22 (my bad). The roof has a slope to it. It is weatherproofed using a sort of rubber layer then several layers of fabric impregnated of elastomeric paint (similar to it), if I need to insulate it, then a 1 or 2" thick layer of closed cell foam insulator is sprayed on top (covered with elastomeric paint).

It gets cold here during the winter, three months we have to use the gas furnaces, we pay $9.00 dlls per million of BTU, so if you want to have your house warm it is expensive. The only wood available locally is mesquite and pallets, but I'm planning to bring two cords of encino from the Sierra Madre.

Again thanks for your help, I'll look at the catologs and instructions of the diff. vendors, it is confusing when you have never deal with this stuff but I'll figure it out. I was googling several online stores and found that acehardwareoutlet.com has the lower price on durablack pipe, it seems to good to be true. Has anybody deal with them before? I did a search here but not much came on.

Valentin

I didn't realize Mexico got that cold or that heating was so expensive. I didn't think there were many trees to burn either, but I didn't want to offend anyone (or show my extreme ignorance! :cheese: )

So Valentin, are you originally from the States?

I'm Mexican, I'm located south of the border from El Paso Tx, a city called Juarez, you might have heard from it in the red note on the newspapers.

Wood is scarce where I live but there's plenty in the Sierra Madre, it is also cheap, a face cord cut is about $25.00.

The idea of heating with wood is appealing to me, however I'm not sure if it'll be in the long term due to wood availability. I'll give it a try this coming season.

I'm taking note of all the advices given here, will post back when I do the instllation.

Valentin

Status
Not open for further replies.