Need input on Insulating chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cory

Nov 17, 2010
North Dakota
HI im new to the site and wish i would have found this site yrs ago. This is one of the best sites on wood burning info (great site i love it). Any way im not completely new to burning wood but new to chimney relining. I have a 2story house with an old brick chimney in the middle of the house. The chimney is unlined and the last guy that owned the house relined the chimney with black single wall stove pipe. So i ripped all 26ft out and instaled a ss 304 ridged liner. Burned 2cords last year and chimney needed vary little cleaning and i have a great draft. I didnt know about insulating the liner for safety of a chimney fire. The chimney bricks radait heat nicely after a long week of burning. So with that said my question is.I want to insulate my liner with the champion insulation mix. But if i had to remove the liner for some reason would it be removable or should i use vermiculite or perlite insulation what are the pros and cons? All the help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome cory. With a rigid liner, it's unlikely you would need to pull it for quite a while. That should last a very long time.

Not sure what is in the Chimney Champion mix.

Thanks for the input if my liner will last a long time i think i will insulate with the champion insulation mix.

i used a vermiculite pour wicked easy and pretty cheap. are your flue tiles in bad shape?

There is nothing left of the flue tiles if it even had any . and the bricks are in ok shape. the house had a new basement put in and they put new chimney block from the basement floor to the start of the fist floor. And i put new chimney blocks from the roof line up.

I put in a 22 gauge 304 rigid liner this summer. I used vermiculite because it was cheap and I didn't have room for a blanket. From what I was told from a local sweep and a few others is you don't want to use a vermiculite concrete on a rigid liner. The liner needs to expand with its length, and from what I understand is the concrete mix doesn't allow for expansion which could cause damage. I didn't want to chance it. Also we had quite a bit of room on the sides of the liner and I think I achieved a higher r value with the vermiculite than with a blanket. But with that said if you don't have a liner currently I don't know if vermiculte would be okay for the new liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.